Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunters? Goverment? or Drugs?

Old 06-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
II don't suspect anything strange going on in this case.
Well, if that ain't strange already...

Just googling 25' long aluminum poles brings the cheap ones in around 300 bucks. If it is bats they're after drop a few around the poles and see if they will plant more.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nodog
Well, if that ain't strange already...

Just googling 25' long aluminum poles brings the cheap ones in around 300 bucks. If it is bats they're after drop a few around the poles and see if they will plant more.
I would guess that the pole is actually galvanized steel or some other metal... of course, if it's the government, it's probably aluminum and costs twice what we would pay at the shop.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:08 PM
Fork Horn

Most likely they probably are trying for bats. Testing for rabbies or bat population surveys. Most likely they did get the property bounderies wrong or students who are nieve to tresspassing rules.

Aleast from that picture I can confirm it is a bat/bird mist net and pole you found.

Got a Game Cam?
Old 06-11-2013, 03:40 PM
Fork Horn

No one suggested Aliens? That was my first thought. They finally got bored with crop circles and have moved onto netting.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by OhioNovice
No one suggested Aliens? That was my first thought. They finally got bored with crop circles and have moved onto netting.
yeah I did
Originally Posted by Wilcam47
Old 06-12-2013, 07:46 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
I suspect a mist netting survey for bats, probably associated with a nearby highway construction project, for State DNR/USFWS coordination purposes.

The surveyors are supposed to obtain permission from owners, but there's always the chance they are not on the property they think they are. I don't suspect anything strange going on in this case.
That was what I was thinking. Bats are endangered in Indiana and they sometime put up net snares kinda like that. The Bats think the rustling bag is a bug and swoop at it getting caught. They check the snare every morning very early so the bats don't die. They do this so the bats can be tested for diseases or tagged for study. So if you are there early you can see them and talk to them. You could then question why they did not request permission.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:48 AM
Spike

Indiana DNR does not have to request permission to come on your land.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ladykiller
Indiana DNR does not have to request permission to come on your land.
Probably because they don't have to answer for any budgetary items either.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I doubt its the DNR doing it, most likely a state biologist if it is that type of thing. In this case I'm sure they would ask you. I would think they ask for permission first, especially with equipment like this. I would think if it is a state biologist they may be mistaken on whose land they are on. They might have permission from a neighbor down the road but took a wrong turn and put the it on the wrong land. A call to the local DNR office would probably clear it up.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Psylocide
I would guess that the pole is actually galvanized steel or some other metal... of course, if it's the government, it's probably aluminum and costs twice what we would pay at the shop.
Could be, but they would be much heavier. I wonder how they are getting 25' poles there, got a be a truck. I think he did say he cut one down, that would also take a better saw to do it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.