Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunters? Goverment? or Drugs?

Old 06-10-2013, 05:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default hunters? Goverment? or Drugs?

My soon-to-be father in law has property in Bracken County, KY. He doesn't spend a whole lot of time there outside of deer season, and has had the suspicion that people have been growing pot on the property during the summer... which is all too common here. Well he was down there last Wednesday working on the coulvert pipe over the creek and found an aluminum pole that had been driven into the ground and went roughly 25' in the air to the top of the trees. It had a rope tied to it with a white cloth bag at the top. It was on his property so he cut it down assuming he would find drugs in it. BUT he found the only thing inside was a balled up piece of netting material.. It was really thin material like what you would make a hair net out of. He took it down and called the Sheriff and got no information.

Here is where the story gets weird. He went back Thursday evening to continue to work on the crossing and found two more that had been put up either Wednesday night or Thursday during the day! He cut those down and well and took the bag with him to show me hoping I had an idea of what it would be... I'm clueless. If it was the government I would think they would have contact him or at least put a sign up or something. and it seems like a lot of work for a drug dealer to go through... and what is with the balled up netting?!? Does anyone have any idea what that could be??
Old 06-10-2013, 06:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

sounds like someone trying to catch something going through the air. An aluminum pole isn't cheap and the only fool who's got the money to waste losing that kind of cash is the tax payer via the government.

I think they are looking for the emerald ash bore.

They are also likely to not be to concerned with trespassing, but I thought they were still supposed to give a heads up. In Ohio, if you have posted signs, that is all it takes for the DNR to enter a property without any warning. Might be the same there and if he has posted signs the reason no warning was given.

Aluminum poles are not cheap these days, congrats on the find, let'm keep bringing them. Set up some camera's.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

Well that was my first thought but the netting is too big for any big. Its the size of a normal fishing net, like maybe 1'' squares. Plus they were not very big nets. Also he went back down there on Saturday and everything had been removed. I contacted the KDFWR this morning and their response was something like this
Old 06-10-2013, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Attached Thumbnails hunters? Goverment? or Drugs?-aliens.jpg  
Old 06-10-2013, 02:07 PM
Fork Horn

That's interesting. Update us if you get any more info.

Aliens.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Did you take any pics? That would probably help us give a guess. Sounds very weird to me....
Old 06-10-2013, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

It sounds like a Mist Net. In pest control when birds get inside buildings, we have aluminum poles which extend up (and some with magnets or hooks at the top so they can attach to a ceiling beam). The netting is very fine like a thread. The birds have trouble seeing it so they fly into it and get tangled. We would then untangle them and set them free outside. The nets usually come in 20ftx5ft or 40ftx8ft. They arrive in little bags. The whole net when in the original package can fit in your pocket. It takes a lot of practice and patience to learn how to un-roll it because they tangle so easily. There are 5 thicker yarn sized loops on each side (so 10 total). Is this sounding about the same?

Do you have small birds in the area that could be forced to become a pet. Sounds like someone is catching birds like Finches and Budgies to sell as pets. Look up "Mist Net" from a pest contol's bird control supplier. Possibly Bird Barrier. If you are interested to compare that this is the same as what you found, I can find out who we buy our Mist Net's from.

Last edited by BIG TUNA; 06-10-2013 at 05:15 PM. Reason: wrong bird name
Old 06-11-2013, 05:22 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BIG TUNA
It sounds like a Mist Net. In pest control when birds get inside buildings, we have aluminum poles which extend up (and some with magnets or hooks at the top so they can attach to a ceiling beam). The netting is very fine like a thread. The birds have trouble seeing it so they fly into it and get tangled. We would then untangle them and set them free outside. The nets usually come in 20ftx5ft or 40ftx8ft. They arrive in little bags. The whole net when in the original package can fit in your pocket. It takes a lot of practice and patience to learn how to un-roll it because they tangle so easily. There are 5 thicker yarn sized loops on each side (so 10 total). Is this sounding about the same?

Do you have small birds in the area that could be forced to become a pet. Sounds like someone is catching birds like Finches and Budgies to sell as pets. Look up "Mist Net" from a pest contol's bird control supplier. Possibly Bird Barrier. If you are interested to compare that this is the same as what you found, I can find out who we buy our Mist Net's from.
http://www.miniinthebox.com/blakc-ny...m_p487991.html

This is nearly exactly what it looked like... BUT why would someone be catching birds in the middle of the woods on someone elses property? and also the ones we found were in larger bags that were obviously not the packaging it came in and the nets were much smaller.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I was turkey hunting 5th season in So. Il my buddy and I found some kind of small floating tee-pee net things in a small feeder creek off his dads property. They were made out of PVC, pool floaty noodles and some REALLY fine nylon netting. They were attached to 4 ft rebars with zip ties so they could float up and down as the water level rose and dropped. No name tags, no permission to enter or to do such. Just kinda looked into them one day out of S&G's and they had nothing in them. Govt tracking us, AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by SecondChance; 06-11-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I suspect a mist netting survey for bats, probably associated with a nearby highway construction project, for State DNR/USFWS coordination purposes.

The surveyors are supposed to obtain permission from owners, but there's always the chance they are not on the property they think they are. I don't suspect anything strange going on in this case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.