Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How to get rid of stumps in food plot? >

How to get rid of stumps in food plot?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How to get rid of stumps in food plot?

Old 05-28-2013, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default How to get rid of stumps in food plot?

Need a little help just made a clearing in the middle of my timber for food plot and want to get rid of all the little stumps so I can till it up. Buddy of mine said that there is something you can pour on them that breaks them down. Just wondering if anybody else has heard of this or what it is called? Thanks!
Old 05-28-2013, 05:19 PM
Typical Buck

How quickly do you want them gone?
If its a food plot I would avoid chemicals.
I have placed deer feed/attractant on larg stumps +18" and stump was gone in about 1 year, stuff soaked into the stump and deer just ate the stump down to nothing
Old 05-28-2013, 05:25 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Create a hollow in the middle that will collect and hold water. Then toss in some black topsoil. This will cause it to rot within a year or two. Then bust it out with an ax or maul. I don't think anything short of a tractor and chain can get rid of it now. You can, however, lop it off nearly level with the ground with a chain saw - this is what I had to do on the ATV trail I made.

Last edited by MZS; 05-28-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

They make a chemical that deteriorates a stump. It has some stupid name like 'Stump-B-Gone' or something like that. You drill holes into the stump, pour in the powder and then add water. Its not instantaneous though. I used it on an old stump in my back yard and after a year I could basically pick the stump out with a shovel.

Not sure Id want to use it in a food plot for animals though... can you burn them out?
Old 05-28-2013, 06:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ax and shovel...Makes for a good work out...
Old 05-28-2013, 08:22 PM
Typical Buck

Lookup this name... Timothy Mcveigh!
Old 05-28-2013, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dump some cheap pancake syrup on the stump every couple months.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

They are not very big stumps I would say largest maybe foot in diameter. Just would like a nice smooth surface for planting.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Hunt or Die
Need a little help just made a clearing in the middle of my timber for food plot and want to get rid of all the little stumps so I can till it up. Buddy of mine said that there is something you can pour on them that breaks them down. Just wondering if anybody else has heard of this or what it is called? Thanks!
Just rent a stump grinder, an afternoon and they will be gone.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

can you get a vehicle in there? pull them out? The chemical way is potassium nitrate...once it mixes/decomposes the stump it can be lit on fire and it will burn no flames down the roots.

http://www.ehow.com/way_5518864_chem...p-removal.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.