Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Good boot for hunting

Old 05-09-2013, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let us know what works for you.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

How heavy are the Muck boots? I walk through 2 or more feet of snow so they can't be all to heavy.. Also does the snow/slush/mud stick to the bottom of the boot? My last pair of rubber insulated boots everything stuck to and it got hard to walk in.. Thanks for all your help!
Old 05-10-2013, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wisbowhunter2009
How heavy are the Muck boots? I walk through 2 or more feet of snow so they can't be all to heavy.. Also does the snow/slush/mud stick to the bottom of the boot? My last pair of rubber insulated boots everything stuck to and it got hard to walk in.. Thanks for all your help!
Weight wise, I think they are about normal, probably a little lighter compared to my 1600 gram thinsulate boots. The best bet is try and check a similar pair out at BPS or Cabelas.

I don't know about the slush or mud but I'm hoping they don't!
Old 05-10-2013, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Having used Lacrosse Alpha Burly's for the last 12 years, I would say that I like the comfort of the boot. I wear the non-insulated in the warmer times, and 1500g for cold winter. My last pair of 1500's has lasted me 4 years, and they are still good for another season. They are also a sponsor, so I have gotten some free, but not for many years.

I am not a big guy. 5' 10" and 170 lbs. My feet get cold and I am done. There is just no point in staying out in the stand or blind if you are uncomfortable.Even with 1500g, my feet will get cold when sitting for hours in extreme cold. I use foot warmers, and that will give me the extra I need to stay warm. I am seriously thinking about giving the Thermocell rechargeables a try.

As far as my next pair of insulated boots goes, I will probably go with the Muck Arctic Pros. They are 4 lbs, versus 5.5 lbs on the Lacrosse Alpha Burly. I have heard nothing but good reviews on the Muck boots.

As someone already said, make sure you get them a size larger to allow for for your extra thick socks. This is where most people make the mistake of buying a boot that fits perfectly. Then they put on heavy socks and it constricts their feet in the boot. It will cut off circulation and your feet will then get cold.

Another option, if you have a problem with cold feet is to get a pair of boot blankets to slip over your boots, once you are in your stand. I have seen a lot of hunters use these over the years.

Someone mentioned that if their feet sweat, then their feet will get cold. Guess what, your feet are going to sweat. It is a given, they are going to. A good pack boot will wick the moisture away, and keep your feet dryer, hence warmer. But if you are going to possibly be in wet conditions, then you will want to go with a good rubber boot. If you are sitting all day, and your feet are sweating, you have to figure there is only so much room for it to wick it away. This is why I use the foot warmers, and always take an extra pair if you are going to be out all day.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Murdy
My wife has a pair of Lacrosse Alpha Burly's in 800 grams that she loves. I'm more inclined toward pack boots myself.
I swear by Lacrosse for rubber boots, but if you are in snow and/ or ice I'd recommend pack boots (sorel).

http://www.sorel.com/Men/men,default...boots&view=all
Old 05-11-2013, 05:43 AM
Spike

Rocky ! ! First pair lasted 9 years...even got bit by a rattlesnake while wearing them..Rattler got stuck on the toe part of the boot ..reached down and cutt his head off..
Well made ..last forever ...and the 800gr thinsulate keeps my feet warm all season.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

USA manufactured Danner fan here.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you all very much! I'm undecided about the Lacrosse or the muck boots.. Atleast i have a little while to think about it! THank you again!
Old 05-19-2013, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the Muck Boots because You can get several of them that are a shorter height/below the knees,they are tough and made very well,I do a lot of bending over and squatting up & down and my older boots would split and crack,the Muck Boots have held up much better!

I've been using the "Chore" Boots and they have kept my feet plenty warm,almost afraid to get the "Artic" ones?