Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tree stands or ground blinds?

Old 04-25-2013, 10:09 AM
Typical Buck

I much prefer sitting up in a tree -- have a blind, but I don't use it all that much.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Still hunt
Old 04-25-2013, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Psylocide
Still hunt
for rifle hunting, yes. still bow hunting is a huge challenge and there has to be many factors in your favor. my vote goes for the treestand.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Savage Sniper
for rifle hunting, yes. still bow hunting is a huge challenge and there has to be many factors in your favor. my vote goes for the treestand.
So... it's not a viable option then?
Old 04-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Under the right conditions, it can be effective. However if those conditions are not present, it would have a much smaller chance of success than stand hunting.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:57 PM
Fork Horn

Definitely treestand.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's a lot better in a ground blind because of the fact that you get closer to the animal, and it's more challenging, sitting in a tree stand is effective for killing the deer yes, but it's not always about the kill. Ground blinds will show how good of a hunter you really are...
Old 04-28-2013, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my younger days all I hunted with was a climbing stand.Now a ladder stand works and so does my ground blind.

Last edited by FlDeerman; 04-28-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:01 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by wisbowhunter2009
It's a lot better in a ground blind because of the fact that you get closer to the animal, and it's more challenging, sitting in a tree stand is effective for killing the deer yes, but it's not always about the kill. Ground blinds will show how good of a hunter you really are...
Or as is sometimes the case with me, how NOT so good a hunter

But I would say to set up your tree stand on public land without alerting the deer and hunt the same day would be pretty challenging too.

Last edited by MZS; 04-28-2013 at 07:03 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MZS
Or as is sometimes the case with me, how NOT so good a hunter

But I would say to set up your tree stand on public land without alerting the deer and hunt the same day would be pretty challenging too.
I used to have a cheap climber and to say the least it was a pain to set up in the dark having to move pins to the right holes and getting it attached to the tree. I hunted with a Lone Wolf last year and it was like night and day. Instead of pins it just a clip you adjust. Plus, when I scouted I found the tree that I wanted and went up the tree to my designated height. Then when I was done, I marked on my stand where the cables should be so when I went to set up in the dark, I knew exactly where my cables should be to get up the tree. It took all the guess work out.

I've learned that I should have gone with one of the top of the line model of stands and spent the extra $$$ from the beginning. With the lighter weight and being much easier to use, it would have been well worth it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.