Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What does everybody want in their perfect treestand? >

What does everybody want in their perfect treestand?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What does everybody want in their perfect treestand?

Old 05-01-2013, 10:01 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Tundra10
I don't hunt from trees. Neither do deer predators.
I dont either,i was just jokeing around
Old 05-02-2013, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Used to a lot,me and the panthers.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

each has their own pro's and cons...

Ladder stand--you don't have to drag it in to the woods every time...
cons--its only one height and usually quite a task to move.

Lock on--get a little better vantage point IMO...
cons-- same as ladder

Climber--good if they are light weight...you can get out further into the woods and climb higher

cons--can be uncomfortable, limited on how big of a tree you can climb.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:41 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Tundra10
I don't hunt from trees. Neither do deer predators.
You beat me to it Tundra.
I'd go bug nutty sitting in a tree stand all day.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gee.....guess I'm one of the few that can sit up in my ladder stand in a tree most of the day watching the Deer move,and see the Turkeys and Coyotes and enjoy it and never get enough of it?

Ladder Stand,one that has a good size seat that is comfortable,folds up out of the way if I'm Bow Hunting,has arm rails and a removeable or folding shooting rail,a good large platform to stand up on is nice to have also and an area to put my back pack under or beside me,a nice pair of side saddle bags is a plus for storage also.A good sturdy ladder is most desireable with wide steps and it can be broken down easily to haul or move to a different with minimal effort.

Hang-On Stand....I like one that is light weight,easy to carry or haul and has 2 solid areas on the back of it to strap against a tree with 2 ratchets for added strength and safety,a large padded seat with arm rails for longer sits,and it could be folded up and back for extra room when Bow Hunting,a larger platform for standing on is a plus also.

Climbing Stand...light weight,easy to carry,larger seat and platform to stand on and a rail going around the top section for added safety and resting.

Don't get me wrong,I love to go out and do some still Hunting or simply sit under a nice Big Tree and wait fo Deer....but being elevated in some type of stand with my scent off the ground and a further field of view gives me an added edge over the Deer I hunt,6 Big Bucks on the wall and several European Mounts are proof enough at this Hunters House!
Old 05-06-2013, 04:13 AM
Spike

For those that have never tried it, you ought to expand your horizons a bit. I hunted on the ground all my life and just within the last year started using tree stands. I'm not always in the mood to sit in a tree, but there's a time and place for everything. If you never climb up, you really have no idea what you're missing.

I use a double ladder stand hog hunting. If you know you've got one good spot they're good, but as mentioned they are a two man job to set up. Once set up, you'll be in no hurry to move it and I find that taking it down is harder than setting it up. I've used cheap single ladder stands before and there really wasn't much to commend them.

I really prefer my climber. Seat is comfy for long periods of time and I can put it as high or low as I want, or move it around the tree. It's quiet and stable. For what it's worth I read a lot of reviews and opinions, then bought a Summit. Buy what you think is best for you and if it works, great. If not, try another.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:52 AM
Spike

Summit Titan. Light, Large and Durable. I'm 6'2" 270lbs.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

As to the stand itself, I want to be able to be tight againest the trunk of the tree. I feel unbalanced when I am stuck way out from the tree, not to mention exposed. I like to use the tree to hide behind also, and usually position my stand on the opposite side I think deer will approach from, and usually face the tree while I am hunting.

I like climbers because it keeps the deer guessing. Plus they are less expensive than having 15 ladder stands and 15 hang on stands (and frankly a heck of a lot less work!) They are also "theft proof" if you don't leave them in the woods or in the open bed of your truck.

I use a Summit Openshot, I love it. I had one of the orignal openshots and finally wore the seat out and upgraded to the Openshot Deluxe with the fold up seat. Its the grapes.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

To establish my perfect treestand, number one it would be an elevated blind large enough for 2 (and smore extra room to move around), number two it would have a small heater that would keep things comfy, and most importantly it would not be what I am sitting my bottom on but rather what would be sitting on my lap......

Last edited by uncle matt; 05-08-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's a High-Dollar seat warmer Uncle Matt,and how many Deer would slip by while You would be busy trying to figure out where the batteries go?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.