Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

COLD FOG BREATH?

Old 09-22-2003, 11:09 PM

Default COLD FOG BREATH?

When it is down rite cold up in the stand or regarless of your placement, and each and every breath you exhale, there streams out of your mouth and nose the condensation that is thicker than smoke.

Question:

Can this effect you regarding being spotted, what is your input on this.

Thanks,
Jred
Old 09-22-2003, 11:53 PM

Default RE: COLD FOG BREATH?

I get real paranoid about that too, I dont know the facts but I would think the fog would be a give away , I try to cover it up, if possible, but who knows
Old 09-23-2003, 04:28 AM
Dominant Buck

I worry less about the visible fog than the smell it represents . Anything warmer than the surrounding air will give off vapor if it contains any water , and water can hold a lot of scent .
Old 09-25-2003, 06:23 AM

I too have worried about this. One thing that I do is this. If I have a nearby animal that I believe might pick me off, be it turkeys or deer or anything else for that matter, I hold my mouth in the form of " whisling or kissing" for lack of a better term. and blow out a little faster than normal... kinda like you would blow to cool your soup. It' s amazing, but it works. You don' t see the fog that way... or at least here in North Carolina with hunting temps at cold times in the teens.

Good Hunt' n
Old 09-25-2003, 06:26 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-25-2003, 07:52 AM

I worry about this a little during the bow season. I have had it spook in-close deer. I learned my lesson and now, when in this situation, I exhale down toward my shirt like I am blowing out a candle and there seem sot be less smoke.

Greg
Old 09-25-2003, 11:52 AM

Deer may not notice it if you are up high in a stand, but I think they do otherwise because they are so good at spotting movement. However, there' s not much you can do about the moisture.

But as another poster pointed out, the scent of your breath is the bigger problem since warm air carries farther and holds more scent. Either use chloropyll tablets or brush your teeth (and tongue) with baking soda and water before setting out. If you eat in your stand use chloropyll tablets afterwards.

Mark
http://www.buckhuntersecrets.com
Old 09-26-2003, 06:59 PM

The sent of my breath? Wow, I had not Idea this would make any difference.

I do practive good Hygine but I do not understand how the smell of toothpast or mint would make it any better.

Is' nt is still a odd sent to the deer if they smell it?
Old 09-26-2003, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure what the big deal is on this, it is the same breath that you don' t see during warm weather, only now you can see it and you think it means something. heck, i smoke in my stand and have never had a problem, i really think it is the motion involved that the deer see more then anything else.
Old 09-26-2003, 10:15 PM

If you can see it I am sure the deer can see it. I don' t think there is anything to worry about if you are in a stand.

Quick Reply: COLD FOG BREATH?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.