HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   "Chasing Tail" on History channel (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/380721-chasing-tail-history-channel.html)

DoubleLung55 04-11-2013 10:47 PM

"Chasing Tail" on History channel

I just saw this show for the first time tonight, it is a complete joke and puts such a blemish on deer hunters. I can NOT believe that the history channel would put this trash on TV. There are guys hunting off of peoples porches with kids in the nieghborhood, Shooting fawns and everything else. As a die hard deer hunter I hope that the network pulls the show by next week. It is sickening.

BOWHUNTERCOP 04-12-2013 02:48 AM

I agree, very negative !!!

navymancdf 04-12-2013 01:51 PM

That will bring a horrible light onto hunting. I agree I hope they do pull the show from what I have read and seen it does not look like a show worth my time. thanks for the heads up

MZS 04-12-2013 03:38 PM

I caught a bit of it online at history.com - I saw the "Deer Camp" episode. Obviously they seem to want to paint hunters as cursing dirty slobs. Not really hunting where these guys are but more animal control. Pretty ridiculous how they equate this "hunting" with real hunting in the wild. I have nothing against suburb hunting (I would do it too if I had deer like that at my disposal) but they make this seem like this is what all hunting is like and they seem to use this show as a way to smear hunting in general. Another reason not to get cable!

fastetti 04-12-2013 04:09 PM

I agree with most of what everyone was saying. It made it seemed like they were wounding deer, trespassing and such. Plus, they seemed to talk way too much trash about each other. Didn't really like that.

That being said, I do a lot of urban deer hunting. I never have kids in sight of my stand but do it in somewhat of a similar matter. I'll say that these deer are not easier to kill in any way. I'm sure if you sit on someones second floor of their house and shoot out the window it would be tough but these deer know where humans are suppose to be and where they aren't. I sit in spots behind peoples houses in smaller blocks of woods and they still know what is out of the ordinary. I get busted the same amount in my urban hunting as I do out in the hills of Central Illinois. These guys, even though how horrible they portray it, are needed. There are no natural predators in these environments and no hunting so somehow these deer have to be taken. In a town I hunt, last year they paid $12,000 (yes, $12,000) to shoot 10 deer while I hunt about 1/2 mile away legally and sit in a tree waiting for deer. People just don't know that there are people willing to shoot these deer for free for meat and for sport. Its crazy.

deernutz 04-13-2013 07:07 AM

MZS hunting is hunting no matter where you choose to do it. I've hunted the big woods of northern WI (Vilas county) and have taken some pretty nice bucks on public land. It was a challenge. I have also hunted urban deer down in the SE part of the state and it was just as much of a challenge. Didn't get any nice bucks down there.

A big buck is a big buck.

Wilcam47 04-13-2013 09:39 AM

I'll say its depredation more than hunting...the yuppies are too stupid to kill/take care of the deer themselves...its easy meat in the freezer..

MZS 04-13-2013 10:04 AM

Well since I have never urban hunted, I stand corrected on the difficulty of it, given an equal number of deer. My main point, however, is how they smear deer hunting in general. Most hunters do a lot more than shoot deer - there is a lot of prep, scouting, and general appreciation and respect for deer and all other animals and their natural habitat. And by and large most deer hunters do not come off like these guys.

deernutz 04-13-2013 10:34 AM

MZS you are absolutely correct with the way the show portrays us. The sad thing is the people who don't hunt will believe this portrayal of us. MZS if you don't mind me asking where abouts do you hunt. I used to live up there and moving back next month for a job.

MZS 04-13-2013 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by deernutz (Post 4050601)
MZS you are absolutely correct with the way the show portrays us. The sad thing is the people who don't hunt will believe this portrayal of us. MZS if you don't mind me asking where abouts do you hunt. I used to live up there and moving back next month for a job.

I live in the Iron River, WI area. I hunt my own back 40 for gun and bow and have bow hunted in the Brule River State Forest. Also, will be trying a few spots in the Chequamegon National Forest next year.