Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
100% new to hunting.  Few questions! >

100% new to hunting. Few questions!

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

100% new to hunting. Few questions!

Old 03-23-2013, 08:06 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by GTOHunter
There are several Hunting Sites specific to Missouri Sanders1996,lots of great info and Hunters local in Your area.Another good thing for dragging Deer is a simple decent size piece of plastic or even a plastic snow sled.Where we hunt we usually go get the small Farm Tractor and load the Deer up after field dressing,another place we walk in to where we hunt and if we shoot a Deer we go get the 4-Wheler and haul it out but don't use the 4-Wheeler to ride around on for pleasure or to get to our stand....we respect other Hunter's there and try not to disturb or scare Deer out of the area,just one of our rules to respect each other!

If possible You may be able to even drive a Truck closer to where You have harvested a Deer...those are 1 of many things You need to work out hopefully ahead of time to make the whole Hunting process easier or if You happen to Hunt with another Friend You simply help each other.

Bow Hunting as mentioned is even more time consuming and difficult in getting a Deer becasue You have to watch Your scent even more and the Deer will have to be much closer for a shot...but it is very rewarding and You get more time out in the Woods to hunt from Sept 15 to Jan 15.Cost of Archery Equipment can be just as or more costly than buying a Rifle depending on the brand and quality of Bow You buy!

Choosing a good affordable Rifle can take time and lots of research to decide whats right for You there are lots of different Calibers and style of Guns to choose from.You are allowed to Hunt with .223 Rifles but I would go a step up and consider a .243,it will have light recoil and does a fine Job,other's opt to go bigger but in the end good shot placement is needed to be efficent in any Rifle You choose!The 30-30 is a good choice if Your Hunting thicker woods and the recoil is light on it also and with the Hornady "LeveRevolution" bullets it will reach out a lot further,a 7mm-08 is a good Caliber with great knock-down power and light recoil....the 30-06,.308,25-06 and .270 will do a great job and have plenty of knock-down power with more recoil,most of these calibers can be tamed down to a lighter recoil when using the Remington managed recoil shells but need to be used in a Bolt-Action,Pump or Lever Action Rifle since it may not eject well out of a Sem-Automatic Rifle with the less powder and lighter recoiling!

Read up on all the different Caliber Rifles and hopefully You can get the chance to shoot a few different Rifle before buying one for Yourself?There are lots of great Rifles out there that are well made and affordable for someone new getting started into Hunting.Anything in a Magnum Caliber will usually have higher felt recoil and Factory Ammo will be pretty expensive so thats another thing You need to check inot...availability and price of Ammo!
I have a .308 & 30-06 and I feel comfortable shooting them, so that is what I'll probably do as soon as I get to talk to a game warden about carrying it in a truck. Never had that issue as I havn't gone to the range alone.

I was thinking of trying to learn a bow, for the longer season. I also think the experience would be more.

I thank you for your answer.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your Welcome!

As far as carrying a Rifle in a Vehicle I think You would be fine as long as it is un-loaded and not concealed...I always have mine inside a soft case or a hard plastic Plano carrying case so the scope doesn't get knocked off!If Your going out Hunting You have to transport it some how so it shouldn't be against the Law to have it in a Vehicle?

Now in other States You may have to have it in a locked case and the bullets seperate from the Firearm...I do know that while even transporting a Bow in Illinois it has to be inside a hard case and possibly locked!Lots of variables and Crazy Rules out there....as You mentioned,checking with a Game Warden or Law Enforcement Officer will releave all doubts.

Last edited by GTOHunter; 03-24-2013 at 07:01 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

Go to these Sites they may help,know Missouri Laws and Deer Hunting.

http://mdc.mo.gov/

http://www.shomeoutdoors.com/forums/index.php?forums

http://www.missouriwhitetails.com/forums/

big rockpile
Old 03-24-2013, 10:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome S1996 and good luck!
Old 03-26-2013, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sanders1996
I had a family member show me a spot where he has found deer to frequent last year, no matter what I do I'm going to have to drag it ~150 meters. Any advice for that? Do those dragging harness things work well?
They help but like I said before theres nothing like dragging a dead deer...by the end of your 150 meters you will think that 100lb deer weighs 300 lol Id try to cut a path for a deer cart...do it now and deer will find your path and use it to cut through the property

Muzzle loader also opens up more opportunities for hunting. Oh one more pointer if you are using rifle...never chamber a round until you are up in the tree stand or sitting getting ready to shoot...but at the same time don't wait to see a deer before you chamber a round. Gun safeties can fail or get tripped off by a branch or anything. If you are crossing a fence alone put the gun through first unloaded and barrel pointed in a safe direction, then you go over/through the fence.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

150 meter drag , my drag is a mile or more.

take yer time after it's dead aint no hurry
Old 04-09-2013, 02:26 PM
Spike

Personally I bow hunt during archery season, and when general season comes around I use my rifle. In the end, it is all about meat. Frankly, I'd go with the .308 over the 06 since you seem to be in rather right places, the shorter action may suit you better. throw some good 150 grain bullets behind it and you are ready to rock. Winchester Powermax bullets are easily some of the best I've used and seen especially for the price. But if you wanted to splurge, there are other options out there. As far as broadheads go for archery, G5 Motecs seem to be the most popular and likely for a good reason, but I suppose that most of them do about the same thing. the tricky ones are the mechanicals if you want something fancy.