Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Threw away my venison

Old 03-19-2013, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default Threw away my venison

This year, the deer just tasted so nasty. Some parts worse than others. I just defrosted & cooked up some filets. The 2 little filets that are usually the best part of the deer. The smell coming off it, smelt like a metal machine. Not a rancid deer, but like a metally taste & smell. I cooked it anyway, and it was just uneatable. The steaks I had 2 weeks ago were ok, but I didn't enjoy eating them. Same neck of the woods as every year. So it's not like the deer is eating from a garbage dump.

The deer was shot in the pouring rain, so it was very wet. It wasn't hung, just went to the butcher 2 days later. So all the meat is really bloody.

I wish I could explain the odor, but I can't. It's not foul, but rather a metal or machinery taste.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about ??
Old 03-19-2013, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

Why wouldn't the processor let them age? I know mine wont even touch them until they hang for at least 3-5 days.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where did you hit it? What was the temperature?
Did you toss it in the back of a dirty truck bed?

How would you figure a head shot leaves meat that is more bloody than a shot anywhere else on the body shot. Makes no sense.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:26 PM
Fork Horn

Ok I have never lost a whole Deer with all that could happen but we process all ours.

I had one I shot the evening before,didn't find it until late next morning.Smelled when I gutted it.Took it home hosed it out let it hang couple hours until inside was dry.No smell,meat did fine.

Hit a Deer in Ham,didn't find it until next day with use of Dog.It had laid on shot Ham.blood pooled there.Took it home hosed it out let dry.Lost the Ham but rest was ok.

Gut shot a Deer,found it next morning,got it home hosed it out and dried,didn't lose any.

Killed a Deer that had been goard in a Ham that was infected.Lost the Ham but rest was ok.

Had a Deer for my Son.Son wanted a Processor to grind it and make part into Suasage.Some of this we Processed ourself.When we got back the other from Processor it wasn't fit to eat.

Killed a Boar Hog that stunk very Bad.Skinned it,washed it out good,cut all Glands off,some I had never seen before,let it hang few hours.It tasted great.

Shot an old Ram.Put some in Skillet while we was processing,tasted fine until I swollowed then got an Old Sheep taste,tried every thing never could eat it but Dogs ate Great.

Just saying I don't trust Processors and it has to have something really Bad happen to lose all.

big rockpile
Old 03-20-2013, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had the same thing last week. Grilled them up and man they were horrible. Threw em. Im sure it was off my buck. I got a doe on the same hunt. The buck I had to come back the next more cause he jumped a fence and I couldn't next ahold of the neighbor. The temp wasn't a problem it got down to 8 that night. He bleed alot. The meat had a pink tone to it. Like there wasn't any blood left in it. My doe's meat was nice and red. Think I'll eat the doe first.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

You could try brining the meat first or even just soaking in water overnight to try and draw some of that blood out.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:35 PM
Fork Horn

Maybe it's the blood. I'm not sure.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:01 PM
Fork Horn

I would have to agree with RIDGE on this the fact that it layed on the floor or what ever surface you had it laying on. Hard lesson learned.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

Yep, if it's warm I don't lay it in the truck. I always hang them unless it's good and cold. It is amazing how long those deer hold heat. My BIL shot a buck last fall. It was 14 degrees and the next moerning it was still warm in the hams. My nephew shot a nubby one morning. It was 63 degrees that day and the next. The meat was darn good. Just get it gutted and hung.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:40 PM
Little Doe Peep

Smile

I'm going to agree also. We always hang it up and drain the blood out right away in the field before we bring it home. Then we wash it really well at home, salt it to finish getting out the blood, and then wash it really well again.

Our venison is always delicious.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.