Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

thoughts on baiting deer

Old 03-19-2013, 02:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default In some states...

hunters have hundreds invested in a feeder, that requires hauls of bait, watched over by a trail cam and an expensive private condo tree stand.
These hunters will get to prove whether a three year old buck gets to associate a feeding center with a waiting hunter and goes strictly nocturnal.
It will take, however, a few years for the feeder bait centers, to accept that premise. Lots of time and money in bait feed centers in some states.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Psylocide can't even congratulate someone who shot a deer over bait. So would you congratulate someone who puts out mineral sites or a hunter who plants a field in clover, corn, beans with the intended purpose to hunt over it. Just curious?
Old 03-19-2013, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by deernutz
Psylocide can't even congratulate someone who shot a deer over bait. So would you congratulate someone who puts out mineral sites or a hunter who plants a field in clover, corn, beans with the intended purpose to hunt over it. Just curious?
Of course! Food plots are amazing for all sorts of wildlife, create the habitat and they will come... how could I ever condemn that activity?

Throwing a big ol' bag of corn on the ground just isn't quite the same.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

While we all have our right to have ones opinion. Your feeding the deer either way to get them into range to kill. What about the hunter who works long hrs and hunts public big timber whitetails and is lucky to get opening weekend off every year. Also he doesn't have the time to scout nor the land to plant these food plots. It would be wrong to just throw that pile of feed out? What I'm getting at Psylocide is not everyone fits a certain criteria when it comes to hunting. We all live in different parts of the US, work different jobs, lucky enough to own property, hunt different types of deer. We as hunters if we wanna keep this great family heritage going. We as hunters have to be a little more open minded to how we each choose to hunt. A big buck will always be a big buck no matter what techique we choose to legally harvast the deer. Thats just my two sense.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by deernutz
While we all have our right to have ones opinion. Your feeding the deer either way to get them into range to kill. What about the hunter who works long hrs and hunts public big timber whitetails and is lucky to get opening weekend off every year. Also he doesn't have the time to scout nor the land to plant these food plots. It would be wrong to just throw that pile of feed out? What I'm getting at Psylocide is not everyone fits a certain criteria when it comes to hunting. We all live in different parts of the US, work different jobs, lucky enough to own property, hunt different types of deer. We as hunters if we wanna keep this great family heritage going. We as hunters have to be a little more open minded to how we each choose to hunt. A big buck will always be a big buck no matter what techique we choose to legally harvast the deer. Thats just my two sense.
I'm not going to tell someone they're wrong for doing it if it's legal, I just won't be impressed, and they don't have to give two hoots what I think either. To each their own, as you've said above.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:10 PM
Spike

Default baiting

Well here is a issue that will get your hair standing on end with some people, some do bait, some don't, i think it should be YOUR choice on weather you bait or not! just like the QDM that the DNR & QDM are trying to stuff in our b#$% i pay my taxes and other people are wanting to tell me what i should or can shoot! i like to EAT venison can't eat antlers, and you should not shoot all the doe either, my grandkids will most likeley not go hunting anymore, it's hard enought to see a deer without passing up all the SMALL deer!! it's easyer to play video games! and you do not have to get up a 5am either, owell more lost money for the MICH DNR, maybe the QDM people will makle up all the lost money!!
Old 03-19-2013, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Psylocide I agree to each is own. How's SD hunting for whitetails never been through it. Always went through ND for travels.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

It's illegal here but had someone Bait my hunting area with out me knowing.I wasn't happy considering it could have gotten me in trouble.

Have hunted over Bait where Legal and found Game looking towards Stand before coming out.

I see no difference that hunting over Small Green Food Plot.

big rockpile
Old 03-20-2013, 03:54 AM
Spike

Legal hunting is always appreciated by me... hunters not only pay for the hunting but some of them sell the trophy and donate that money in some charity... i think its good to do some humanity also...
Old 03-20-2013, 04:31 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Psylocide
Of course! Food plots are amazing for all sorts of wildlife, create the habitat and they will come... how could I ever condemn that activity?

Throwing a big ol' bag of corn on the ground just isn't quite the same.

It's true food plots have collateral benefits for other wildlife, and it's also true that baiting can have collateral detriments--like disease transmission. But it seems to me from a hunting perspective, they both serve the same function, to lure an animal in for a shot. If it's not impressive to shoot a deer lured in by bait, I can't see how it's impressive to shoot one lured in by a plot, regardless of any benefits to other wildlife.
(I have no ethical problem with baiting, grew up where it was legal, and have done so. I now live in an area where CWD is present and believe it should be illegal here to reduce the spread of that disease.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.