Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Biggest Rub!

Old 03-13-2013, 03:16 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

I would say this is a big buck. Or . . . a mischievous neighbor!
Old 03-13-2013, 10:12 PM
Typical Buck

I to really don't believe it's a deer rub, all the rubs I have ever encountered have raked the whole tree. The only way I really see this as being a whitetail rub is if his browtines are longer that any of the other tines..
What leads me to believe it's a cat or bear is the tree or four small marks in the tree towards the top.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:18 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by deernutz
I've seen enouogh to know it's a whitetail. Sometimes they come up and hit the tree with just their brows.
Gotta go with deernutz on this one, & sometimes they are disturbed during the rub, thus leaving it incomplete.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok I'll have to settle this. I'm headed back out there again this weekend to looks for horns I'll take better pics. I've seen dozens of rubs like this in area in WI that doean't have bears or cats.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's a big rub no doubt and appears to be the brow tines that did it with some darker area on the bark in between that is probably off his periorbital glands on the forehead.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok a couple more photos. One of the same tree farther away, and other rubs within 30 yds of this big one. Didn't find any sheds but found the remains of 4 does. Yotes must have had a field day this winter when we had snow. One was weird though. I thought it was bedded and it was dead. No marks on it. No blood just dead. Hope EHD hasn't made its way down here.
Attached Thumbnails Biggest Rub!-rub-2.jpg   Biggest Rub!-rub-4.jpg   Biggest Rub!-rub.jpg   Biggest Rub!-rub-3.jpg  
Old 03-22-2013, 11:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by iayotehunter
I to really don't believe it's a deer rub, all the rubs I have ever encountered have raked the whole tree. The only way I really see this as being a whitetail rub is if his browtines are longer that any of the other tines..
What leads me to believe it's a cat or bear is the tree or four small marks in the tree towards the top.

ok it is a rub. i have seen them many times just like this one. they are always on large trees. the reason is because the buck does not understand that his browl tines are not wide enough apart to allow a tree of that size in between them so he can rub it. therefore all the marks he can leave are made from the tips of the browls and/or cheater/sticker points around the browl area.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by deernutz
Ok a couple more photos. One of the same tree farther away, and other rubs within 30 yds of this big one. Didn't find any sheds but found the remains of 4 does. Yotes must have had a field day this winter when we had snow. One was weird though. I thought it was bedded and it was dead. No marks on it. No blood just dead. Hope EHD hasn't made its way down here.
EHD is not around right now. you had the cold that was needed to kill it. deer die from EHD with in a few days of being infected.