Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Biggest Rub!

Old 03-11-2013, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Biggest Rub!

Hi everyone,

I really hate to post a picture of a rub, but I couldn't help myself. I was out looking for sheds this weekend. I knew there was a nice whitetail in the area. I followed some pretty nice rubs into what I think is his bedding area based off I had to get on my hands and knees and crawl into it. Once in there I got up and bam in my face was the biggest rub I have ever seen. There must have been 60 rubs in a 1-2 acre spot. Most were on trees about 4 inches in diameter. The funny thing; is it within 200 yds from where all the fly fisherman and hikers park and have pinics. Smart buck. Most people just walk by and would never think he was in there. Probably just sits there watching everyone. Not sure just how big he is since it's illegal to set up cams on state land here in MT. But based off the rubs and his track he's a big one. Enjoy thought I would share.
Attached Thumbnails Biggest Rub!-rub.jpg  
Old 03-11-2013, 01:02 PM
Fork Horn

Weird,...I've never really seen a rub like that. Usually the deer around here rub off a whole area of the trunk, not just a few gouges....
Old 03-11-2013, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by NebBuckHunter
Weird,...I've never really seen a rub like that. Usually the deer around here rub off a whole area of the trunk, not just a few gouges....
Possibly the deer got spooked as it was working his magic?

I say its a giant mountain cougar that made the scratches... that's just my opinion though.

Definitely a big rub!
Old 03-11-2013, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Finding rubs is cool...not seeing the big buck is not! lol trust me I know...I had lots of rubs around where I was hunting never saw the buck/s lol maybe next season thanks for sharing!
Old 03-12-2013, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen enouogh to know it's a whitetail. Sometimes they come up and hit the tree with just their brows.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

My gut would have said cat too, based on the "peel down" at the bottom of the rub. I guess the pictures just don't do it justice.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by deernutz
I've seen enouogh to know it's a whitetail. Sometimes they come up and hit the tree with just their brows.
I'm with you on a deer.. looks like one or two rakes...maybe got scared off by a bigger buck...or human.
Originally Posted by Nomercy448
My gut would have said cat too, based on the "peel down" at the bottom of the rub. I guess the pictures just don't do it justice.
not enough marks to be a big cat.

this is one I found AFTER hunting season...its completely down to wood and I never saw the buck or got him on game camera...just tracks
Attached Thumbnails Biggest Rub!-image.jpg  
Old 03-13-2013, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's not a cat just to lay that to rest. I've been in the woods my whole life and know what cat and bear marks on a tree are. Plus this was 1 1/2 ft off the ground. Most of the cat marks I see on trees are like 4ft and above. Plus the distance between the marks are two wide. And the other 50 rubs next to it tell me it was a deer.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by deernutz
It's not a cat just to lay that to rest. I've been in the woods my whole life and know what cat and bear marks on a tree are. Plus this was 1 1/2 ft off the ground. Most of the cat marks I see on trees are like 4ft and above. Plus the distance between the marks are two wide. And the other 50 rubs next to it tell me it was a deer.
are there any trees good for a climbing stand? I know where I would be scouting next hunting season!
Old 03-13-2013, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh yeah there all over the place

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.