Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tree stand building plans?

Old 02-20-2013, 06:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default Tree stand building plans?

I am looking to build a few tree stands, and i was wondering if anyone had any plans?
Preferably made of wood, I can get boards real cheap and sometimes free if its in a small amount.

I want some plans where i can build with just one tree, I have only made stands with multiple trees.

Thanks
Old 02-20-2013, 07:16 PM
Spike

I may have saw some plans on ebay once. But honestly with the price that some discount chains are selling stands for why would you want to build one. I would'nt want to sit 15' up in the air on uncomfortable wood when u can get a good ladder stand for around $100.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:28 PM
Fork Horn

Like I said I can get wood real cheap, so for the price I can get a ladder stand for I can build at least 3 or 4. and I have a cushion so that makes the wood less uncomfortable .
Old 02-20-2013, 07:41 PM
Typical Buck

Buy yourself a book on building tree houses for kids. My buddies have built a few with modified plans from a tree house book. Wish I knew the name.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is a wood ladder stand at "freedeerstandplans.com". It looks simple enough, I plan to build one myself. Good luck.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:01 AM
Fork Horn

We built a nice wooden stand in the past. With the added weight, and shorter life span of a wooden stand, I'll never do it again. Just go buy a aluminum ladder stand.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

We built stands using angle iron and wood. I've had the stands for about 10 years and replaced the wood on one of them. But for all the hassle, money and time to make them, I would just purchase one. Plus, the homemade stands are a lot heavier and a pain in the u know what to move and hang.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:26 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by VTBoneCollector
We built stands using angle iron and wood. I've had the stands for about 10 years and replaced the wood on one of them. But for all the hassle, money and time to make them, I would just purchase one. Plus, the homemade stands are a lot heavier and a pain in the u know what to move and hang.

Second this opinion. Been there. Done it. Never again.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:58 AM
Spike

So basically you have more time than money, I understand that all to well.
Here is a simple guide to building a stand from this you should be able to build just about any kind of stand you want with a little creative work on your part. I would also check the states laws on putting up permanent stands. I live in MN and they are illegal because they damage the tree.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sourc...61634858522133

Last edited by GrandpaDave; 02-22-2013 at 07:01 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are going to use these year after year, and are set on using wood, why not make them of pressure treated pine? In the long run these will last years and years. The ones I used to build were about 14' to the platform, weighed a bunch, were stout and attached to the tree with a ratchet strap or chain tightened with a turn buckle. Some of these are still out where I used to hunt. Good buddy of mine stillm huints there. These stands ahve been out 20+ years old and are as stout as ever.

I have not built one is aboutt 6-7 years now, and am not sure what the materials would cost these days. If you want the plans I probably can find them. Nothing more than a wooden ladder with a platform at the top.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.