Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
My First Deer, Share Your Story Too! >

My First Deer, Share Your Story Too!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My First Deer, Share Your Story Too!

Old 02-07-2013, 06:56 AM
Spike

Default My First Deer, Share Your Story Too!

I figured I'd share the story of my first deer. I know I love reading hunting stories so please post yours too!

I grew up with my dad being an avid hunter, he took me a few times but I always wanted my first deer to be a buck so I passed on the does I saw when I was younger. Time passed and as I got older I never really had a place to hunt or a firearm to hunt with. But that changed when the 2011 season rolled around, I finally had access to miles of forest and a great rifle. I bought my big game gun license and eagerly awaited rifle season! Luck would have it that come rifle season, I was sick... Bad case of bronchitis. I was DETERMINED to get a deer this year! Opening Day I woke up at 4 am and got ready, rode the 4 wheeler to an area I had scouted out and walked back into the woods. It was very cold and felt horrible on my lungs, I got seated right at 6am and waited. Daylight came and no sign of a deer. The longer I sat, the worse I felt until at 730am I decided I was just too sick and needed to go home. I'd almost made it out of the woods to the edge of a field where to my surprise stood a deer. It was buck only so I was praying it had antlers. I looked and could just barely see that it did, in fact, have legal antlers! My heart about dropped when he turned and trotted away from me but he stopped just at the edge of the field before entering the woods and disappearing from sight. I pulled my gun to my shoulder and took aim, standing. I started to jerk the trigger and then stopped myself, knowing I'd miss if I did. I took a deep breath, steadied and squeezed the trigger. I was deafened by the sound emitted from my gun but saw the buck kick like a bronco and take off into the woods at full speed. This was the first deer I'd ever shot at and the first buck I'd ever seen hunting! I was so worried I had missed but knew I should wait before going to check it out. After a very long 10 minutes I walked across the field to see if I had got him. When I came to where he was standing there was blood, and ALOT of it. I followed the 'blood path' and found him laying just inside the woods. I approached with caution but he had expired, i started counting points! He was a 6 pointer and around here, that's a good buck! He had nice tall antlers which were really funny colored, very dark all over. I field dressed him and had hit part of his heart and lungs! I grabbed his antlers and started dragging, during all the excitement I had forgotten how sick I was lol! I had to take off my coveralls and just wear my orange I got so hot! But I finally got him out of the woods and back home. Now he's mounted on my wall and im addicted to hunting!

http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4116da07.jpg

http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/...psb048959e.jpg

Posted from Huntingnet.com App for Android
Old 02-07-2013, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats,I hope he's the first of many.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:53 AM
Spike

Thanks! And yeah, more did and will come! I got 3 does and him that season, this past season I got another 6, a spike, 3 does and a bear lol filled the freezer up, we LOVE eating our harvest. That's the main reason we hunt, to eat and we love it!

Posted from Huntingnet.com App for Android
Old 02-07-2013, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats. Many more in your future.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default Your

Nice story. Great to hear that. Mine is already posted on here somewhere, if you'd like to read it, just look up my posts and you will find it.

Hunting while sick can be a killer but I'd still rather go hunting sick than stay in bed.

No deer in my bedroom (yet). ;D
Old 02-07-2013, 03:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

My 1st deer was a WY mulie doe. Was a rough hunt but learned a lot, and certainly going to be better prepared when I get a 2nd chance at a WY mulie, this time a buck!

long story short, was good out to about 100yds, they said be ready for 200yds, most of the deer we saw were on the horizon or probably 400yds!
Old 02-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

I bought a bow 2 weeks before our season opened and I shot my first deer when I was 25. A spike horn. When I shot him I thought I was shooting a doe. I was so excited when I called my dad to help me look for it. He came and after a very short search, he hollered to me that he had found the deer but it wasn't a doe. It was a spike. You would of thought I had shot the new state record, the way I was hoot and hollering. It didn't matter to me, I had my first deer and my dad was there to share the moment with me. Nothing beats sharing those special moments in the woods with your family. Even my wife and 2 daughters came into the woods to see my deer. And I'm proud to say that both of my daughters are hunters and have shot deer while I was with them. And even though 1 is in college and the other on her way in the fall, they still hunt when they can.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:36 PM
Spike

Wow! I was hoping I can get my first one this weekend. Do you have any tips that I can follow? I am trying to catch one around 6 months already but to no luck.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:22 AM
fzo
Fork Horn

it really is a nice story. keep on like that
Old 02-17-2013, 03:22 PM
Spike

That is great story. I can remember my first deer like it was yesterday. It was about 20 years ago and i was supposed to be getting on the bus to go to school. but my dad had seen a good buck that morning on the way to work. So he rushed home and told my younger brother to tell the bus driver i was sick. So me and my father put a stalk on the deer and he turned and came right for us chasing a doe. I was resting on a fallen tree and i was so nervous but i got the buck. It is a memory that will last the rest of my life. I am going to repay him this year he got drawn for a moose tag in alaska and we are going in september. It is going to be a great time regardless if we get a moose or not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.