Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Somethings been bugging me...

Old 01-29-2013, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Back in my younger years hunting on public land,I would hunt near where everyone parked.Found as all the hunters stomped way out that the deer came back to the road where the hunters just left.Shot three deer from the same tree,as I watched the school bus going by(I was bow hunting).
Old 01-29-2013, 05:08 AM
Fork Horn

you did the right thing! I wouldnt swet it and def do not let it bring your hunting experience down. Keep at it! you just so happened to come across some hot headed and dumb hunters! if you want to complain about people hunting right on top of you then you know what....work harder, save some money, and buy your own land or a lease! Thats just the name of the game when hunting public land, what can you do. I give you a lot of credit, it would have def been hard for me to bite my tounge. But you def did the right and smart thing to do
Old 01-29-2013, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

Default Action/Re-action

You did exactly the right thing except for this:

1) Write down their auto make and model, color and tag number - not in that order. After the incident, write down everything about what you can remember about their physical makeup, what they were wearing, etc.

If these bozo's can flip you off like that, they can be bigger jerks, such as keying your paint or worse.

If you run into these bozo's again out there (could even be in a different place, you never know) and your car comes up damaged somehow, you have a possible suspect. If someone steals your shot game, you have a possible suspect. If someone steals your trailcam or tree stand, you have a possible suspect.

Knowledge is power friend, your actions were spot-on but think ahead next time for your own protection, even as far as reporting the incident to your local Warden/CO. Not to lodge charges, just to report an incident. Creates or maybe even adds history that may have meaning to those in LE.

Some may say too far but Be Prepared. Not all folks you meet are like that though. Maybe this guy just had a sh!tty day and took it out on you but you don't know that for sure. His comment, "Look, a deer" would have grabbed my immediate attention and guard as I'm sure it did yours.

Not too late to do all of the above, depending on what you can remember. Maybe you already wrote this stuff down?

Anyway, YMMV.

Best of Luck, God Bless and Welcome.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:53 AM
Spike

Thanks for the suggestion guys.

Not much private land for hunting in my area so I'm pretty much stuck with public land. I'm going to scout some more remote locations over the summer and hope to find something a bit more off the beaten path.

I haven't got a bow yet, but I already purchased my archery tag for 2013... Figured that might get my butt in gear over the summer to get a bow. The local archery season up here in MA is 30 days while shotgun is only 14 so It will give me plenty more time to hunt.

I didn't get any information on the guys, but the vehicles were there pretty often. I'll make sure to keep a lookout for them next year.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

I have hunted for over 40 years and have had my run ins with idiots like you did. According to what you said you did the right thing and you have as much right to hunt there as anyone else does. Most hunters don't act that way and you should file this under slob hunters. Hope this is the last time you have to deal with a situation such as these idiots.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:17 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by FlDeerman
Back in my younger years hunting on public land,I would hunt near where everyone parked.Found as all the hunters stomped way out that the deer came back to the road where the hunters just left.Shot three deer from the same tree,as I watched the school bus going by(I was bow hunting).
This is kind of what I do on public land. Hunt closer in rather than in some remote "great looking" spot. In one place that consists of a fairly small woods very near a parking area I am yet to ever see another hunter (I hear them as they slam their car doors though). And I am also just barely out of sight from the road. These types of spots get overlooked and thus have little pressure.

Another thing to look into is private land that gets government subsidies for forestry, wildlife management, etc. (if you have this in your state). This land will be open to the public for hunting but often receives little pressure. Contact your DNR for more info - they can direct you to a list.

Last edited by MZS; 01-29-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:26 PM
Typical Buck

Hate to hear you had to deal with a couple IDIOTS. Dont let it discourage you.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:03 AM
Typical Buck

Anyone who is hunting right off a logging road or trail and then is surprised when another hunter walks by is an idiot to begin with. On public land, you don't get to shut down an access road, trail, etc., just so you, and only you, have a place to hunt. I wouldn't have apologized myself, because you didn't do anything wrong in the first place. His expectation of privacy on a logging road like that isn't reasonable.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:34 AM
Spike

Unfortunately there are many who think that they have exclusive rights on public lands. Fldeerman and MZS are spot on. I too hunt entirely on public land in northern WI and learned a long time ago that the deer have a knack for finding spots that people avoid. Most times thats right under everyone's nose and usually much closer to the road and parking areas than many would believe.
Don't get discouraged, just change your tactics and hunt areas that the experts don't.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll bet if he was alone he wouldn't have talked to you like that. Sounds like a jerk!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.