HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Uh-Oh (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/378078-uh-oh.html)

gamsmith 01-18-2013 02:19 PM

Uh-Oh

The backwater from the Mississippi river backed out to quick for me to go retrieve my Moultrie trail camera in time. Just waded out through water in waders about 4 foot deep and found my camera about a foot under the water. Just bought it this year. Is there anyway the rice trick will work on the camera as it has done for phones, or am I screwed. Any tips would be helpful. I currently have it in a huge bowl of rice and haven't attempted turning it on since fishing it out.

Topgun 3006 01-18-2013 02:29 PM

I don't think I'd be in a big hurry to turn it on!

WestVirginiaBrent 01-18-2013 03:42 PM

Give it quite a long time, clean it up with rubbing alcohol and a small paint brush and hope for the best. I'd give it a 99% failure rate, but if it works I would tell your tale to the manufacturer, might be a good ad.

DocD 01-18-2013 05:46 PM

I would let it dry out for a couple of days & then give it a try, (not so sure I would use the rubbing Alcohol) I have had other electronics come back to life that way, you might be surprised. Good luck Doc

DeppedyDogg 01-18-2013 05:56 PM

Electronics

If there were batteries installed at the time of the flood chances are the damage is done.

I have had gear come thru following of this type of catastrophe so there is hope.

Remove and keep the batteries OUT for at least two weeks. ALL batteries. There may be a LiOn battery for memory or firmware which you will have to remove if it exists. Consult the user guide or manual. Remove all memory devices.

Do not wash it with alcohol, acetone nor any solvent.

Keep it in a zip lock or seal-a-meal bag with rice or better, if you can obtain dessicant, that is better. Do not be tempted to remove it from the bag for two weeks or better.

After the two+ weeks dry-out, you can then remove it from the bag. If you are handy, disassemble the covers and expose the electronics inside. As you disassemble, make diagrams or better, take pictures of the disassembly process to better understand how everything goes back together.

Observe everything. Watch how connectors and wires are connected and where. Look for corrosion, fungii looking crust around connectors, battery terminals and electrodes (contact type areas for memory devices, etc).

If you see anything like that, you can then, using nylon, PET, or other non-cotton swabs soaked with Electronics Wash (Radio Shack, Cables & Connectors, MCM Electronics, most local electronics servicers can sell you some) start cleanup. Only clean sufficient to remove the foreign substance.

Pay attention to USB/1384/Firewire ports. Mostly, you will see corrosion here first. You can use a nylon brush or toothbrush with the Electronics Wash to remove this corrosion.

After your inspection and any cleanup, do not reassemble yet. Place in a warm area for another day or two. I usually place devices on a transformer or near a heat register.

Here's where the rubber meets the road: If you think there wasn't a lot of corrosion and you removed every bit you could detect or you observed none, reassemble and try it out.

IF you saw a lot of corrosion or you could not remove it or maybe, there is some other substance you could not identify or if it 'just doesn't look right', send it back to the manufacturer WITHOUT having powered it up.

It doesn't take much to damage today's ESD sensitive devices. If after reading thru this you think it too much to undertake, Be Sure to remove the batteries immediately and send it back to the MFG.

BTW: I've been repairing Electronics Devices for 32+ years. That's what I still do professionally.

gamsmith 01-19-2013 08:19 AM

Thanks I'll keep it in rice for a couple of weeks already pulled all batteries out. Then the real work will begin.

DeppedyDogg 01-19-2013 10:16 AM

Post your results. Hope it works.

BP_Niccum 01-19-2013 10:52 AM

DD got it right your chances are slim but keep hope. Let us know we all love a good comback story!

Mojotex 01-19-2013 11:02 AM

I suspoect that you now have a hig tech brick !

gamsmith 01-19-2013 05:03 PM

Really hope the brick statement isn't a reality as it was a brand new M-80 black flash been in woods less than 5 months. Pretty upset at myself right now.

Chopayne 01-20-2013 09:04 PM

DeppedyDog, isnt it a good idea to swab some of it down before corrosion grows?

DeppedyDogg 01-21-2013 08:39 AM

Corrosion

Originally Posted by Chopayne (Post 4029590)
DeppedyDog, isnt it a good idea to swab some of it down before corrosion grows?

Yes and no: The Electronics Wash will damage plastics. Best to remove those plastics before cleanup.

I've seen plastics literally crumble away using that stuff.

Better safe than sorry.

DeppedyDogg 01-30-2013 03:52 PM

1/18/2013

Your post date of 1/18/2013:

2/1/2013 Makes two weeks. Looking for your post soon.

GTOHunter 01-30-2013 04:41 PM

Moultrie is great about repairing their trail camera's...if it does in fact quit working I would call them and see about sending it in and if they would warranty the camera?

I messed up my Moultrie M-100 by accidently putting the SD card in backwards...they told me to send it in and they would either fix it or send me a new one.I haven't done it yet but will package it soon and send it in to them!

RyanVT 01-31-2013 02:42 AM

Yea I'd get ahold of them don't tell them what really happend. Just say you had it out a few months and it stopped working. See what they can do for you. Thing are way over priced any way. :)