Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Uh-Oh

Old 01-18-2013, 02:19 PM
Spike

Default Uh-Oh

The backwater from the Mississippi river backed out to quick for me to go retrieve my Moultrie trail camera in time. Just waded out through water in waders about 4 foot deep and found my camera about a foot under the water. Just bought it this year. Is there anyway the rice trick will work on the camera as it has done for phones, or am I screwed. Any tips would be helpful. I currently have it in a huge bowl of rice and haven't attempted turning it on since fishing it out.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think I'd be in a big hurry to turn it on!
Old 01-18-2013, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

Give it quite a long time, clean it up with rubbing alcohol and a small paint brush and hope for the best. I'd give it a 99% failure rate, but if it works I would tell your tale to the manufacturer, might be a good ad.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:46 PM
Fork Horn

I would let it dry out for a couple of days & then give it a try, (not so sure I would use the rubbing Alcohol) I have had other electronics come back to life that way, you might be surprised. Good luck Doc
Old 01-18-2013, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default Electronics

If there were batteries installed at the time of the flood chances are the damage is done.

I have had gear come thru following of this type of catastrophe so there is hope.

Remove and keep the batteries OUT for at least two weeks. ALL batteries. There may be a LiOn battery for memory or firmware which you will have to remove if it exists. Consult the user guide or manual. Remove all memory devices.

Do not wash it with alcohol, acetone nor any solvent.

Keep it in a zip lock or seal-a-meal bag with rice or better, if you can obtain dessicant, that is better. Do not be tempted to remove it from the bag for two weeks or better.

After the two+ weeks dry-out, you can then remove it from the bag. If you are handy, disassemble the covers and expose the electronics inside. As you disassemble, make diagrams or better, take pictures of the disassembly process to better understand how everything goes back together.

Observe everything. Watch how connectors and wires are connected and where. Look for corrosion, fungii looking crust around connectors, battery terminals and electrodes (contact type areas for memory devices, etc).

If you see anything like that, you can then, using nylon, PET, or other non-cotton swabs soaked with Electronics Wash (Radio Shack, Cables & Connectors, MCM Electronics, most local electronics servicers can sell you some) start cleanup. Only clean sufficient to remove the foreign substance.

Pay attention to USB/1384/Firewire ports. Mostly, you will see corrosion here first. You can use a nylon brush or toothbrush with the Electronics Wash to remove this corrosion.

After your inspection and any cleanup, do not reassemble yet. Place in a warm area for another day or two. I usually place devices on a transformer or near a heat register.

Here's where the rubber meets the road: If you think there wasn't a lot of corrosion and you removed every bit you could detect or you observed none, reassemble and try it out.

IF you saw a lot of corrosion or you could not remove it or maybe, there is some other substance you could not identify or if it 'just doesn't look right', send it back to the manufacturer WITHOUT having powered it up.

It doesn't take much to damage today's ESD sensitive devices. If after reading thru this you think it too much to undertake, Be Sure to remove the batteries immediately and send it back to the MFG.

BTW: I've been repairing Electronics Devices for 32+ years. That's what I still do professionally.

Last edited by DeppedyDogg; 01-18-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:19 AM
Spike

Thanks I'll keep it in rice for a couple of weeks already pulled all batteries out. Then the real work will begin.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default Post

Post your results. Hope it works.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:52 AM
Fork Horn

DD got it right your chances are slim but keep hope. Let us know we all love a good comback story!
Old 01-19-2013, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I suspoect that you now have a hig tech brick !
Old 01-19-2013, 05:03 PM
Spike

Really hope the brick statement isn't a reality as it was a brand new M-80 black flash been in woods less than 5 months. Pretty upset at myself right now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.