Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Hunting and giving away meat?? >

Hunting and giving away meat??

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting and giving away meat??

Old 01-16-2013, 06:11 PM
Spike

Default Hunting and giving away meat??

Hello, not sure if this is the right forum for this but here we go.

I have never hunted before but for some reason I have a strong urge to do so. I really feel like as humans we come from a long history of hunting, it seems so natural and beautiful.

The only thing is that I am a vegan and intend to remain so. I don't want to get into my reasoning for this lifestyle. My question is this, is there any way to hunt, harvest a deer, and give away the meat to the needy? I would love this. I really want to experience this, i feel like everyone should experience hunting, and that communion with nature.

I feel such respect for these animals and I'm sure that hunting does wondrous things for the ecosystem. But I do not plan on eating the meat myself, and I would NEVER kill something if the meat was not going to be consumed.

any ideas? thanks =)
Old 01-16-2013, 06:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can always find someone who will take anything you shoot or you can contact one of many organizations out there that will take the animal to a processor and donate the meat to the needy in the area. Nothing will ever be wasted if you do your part in taking care of the animal in getting it to the proper party.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:44 PM
Spike

yeah check with your local department of natural resources(game warden) and ask about hunters for the hungry its a great program and you could also ask a friend that is not vegan and see if they will take it....
Old 01-16-2013, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator

Most meat processors will have some sort of program, by which you may donate your harvest. It will then get distributed to various food programs to provide for the needy.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:27 AM
Typical Buck

Indiana has a program for donating deer to feed the hungry. I don't know if it is still this way but you had to pay to have the deer processed and then donate the finished product. I think that kept a lot of people participating.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can also call your local soup kitchen, see if they take it.

Local churches are another source of info.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:19 AM
Fork Horn

Many processors as mentioned are involved in getting meat to needy. surprising how many are wanting for venison. Proper field dressing and handling an important part of process too.
I share with a couple people each year as a good will gesture(seem to have better success that way too.)and an entire deer would go fast. Just a matter of having a pre arranged plan. Whether dropping it at a processor or residence . Enjoy your time afield!.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Share the Harvest is one program our group has used. Some programs prefer you use a non lead bullet like Barnes bullets if possible and donate the entire deer that has been professionally processed. They will pay part or all of the costs when funds are available if you donate the entire deer.

This is only one example
http://confedmo.org/index.php?option...420&Itemid=217

http://mdc.mo.gov/hunting-trapping/deer/share-harvest

Last edited by Gm54-120; 01-17-2013 at 06:02 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:11 AM
Fork Horn

" i really feel like as humans, we come from a long history of hunting"

YA THINK ! Send me some of the 'shrooms !
Old 01-17-2013, 06:20 AM
Typical Buck

Look for the "Hunters for the Hungry" program in your area or ask around and I am sure you can find someone who will take the venison. Please do not go hunting and harvest a deer without knowing where the venison is going after your hunt. I always have people, who do not have the time or ability to hunt for what ever reason, who want the venison. Good luck onyour endevours.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.