Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How Did Native Americans Hunt Deer? >

How Did Native Americans Hunt Deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How Did Native Americans Hunt Deer?

Old 01-14-2013, 03:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default To wit

My brother and I were hunting Orchard Country in upstate NY several years ago.

We picked up the barking and beying of some dogs in the orchards we hunt. Followed this for 6-9 minutes until we saw the deer running flat-out. Then we saw the dogs behind her barking and beying.

We followed the Doe and dogs' barking and beying for another 6-8 minutes. We lost sight of this doe but the dogs noise was easy to follow. We took up following the dogs since we had permission to hunt there and my brother was adamant on killing those mutts.

Suddenly, the dogs' barking stopped. As we followed up on them we came up to a road she & presumably the dogs crossed. She was dead on the other side of the road.

No penetration wounds, no one shot her. There were no broken bones nor road rash. She wasn't struck by a car or truck.

We opened her up and found the top of her heart opened up with string like fragments.

Deer are made for burst speed, not endurance. These dogs killed that doe as sure as any hunters bullet.

Never found those damned dogs either, Once the thrill of the chase was over, they moved on.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

I can walk right up on a deer cause I'm the deer whisperer. On a serious note, Once I shot a buck and couldn't find it. I tracked with a flashlight well into dark. By the time it got totally dark a storm came in and it was very windy on my way to the cabin. When I got close to the cabin where I put out apples and some corn I heard some deer moving. As I shined there was an old doe eating and looking around. Being windy( 30 mph gusts) I shined and walked to within 15 ft of the deer. It didn't know I was there even with the light. A decent stick bow with a stone broadhead most likely woul dhave killed it. It was very close and un concerned.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by DeppedyDogg
My brother and I were hunting Orchard Country in upstate NY several years ago.
We picked up the barking and beying of some dogs in the orchards we hunt. Followed this for 6-9 minutes until we saw the deer running flat-out. Then we saw the dogs behind her barking and beying.
We followed the Doe and dogs' barking and beying for another 6-8 minutes. We lost sight of this doe but the dogs noise was easy to follow. We took up following the dogs since we had permission to hunt there and my brother was adamant on killing those mutts.
Suddenly, the dogs' barking stopped. As we followed up on them we came up to a road she & presumably the dogs crossed. She was dead on the other side of the road.
No penetration wounds, no one shot her. There were no broken bones nor road rash. She wasn't struck by a car or truck.
We opened her up and found the top of her heart opened up with string like fragments.
Deer are made for burst speed, not endurance. These dogs killed that doe as sure as any hunters bullet.
Never found those damned dogs either, Once the thrill of the chase was over, they moved on.
Just like humans, im sure some deer have some kind of genetic heart defect, not the deer running itself to death. I doubt dogs would be able to outrun a deer since most deer have longer strides. They should be able to easily outrun humans or dogs, however waht they might do is do an initial all out sprint to get away which would expend more energy than someone jogging to track them down. So overtime, if you had dogs or the person was a good tracker they would most likely be able to run down the deer. Anatomically deer, dogs, and other animals have to pant to release their heat, humans just sweat. The animal would likely need to find a water source soon after to cool down, while humans could keep running it down since they are sweating.

I dont necessarily agree that deer are meant just for sprinting, I think that they cant keep up on endurance becaue of their fight or flight response, they expend 80% of their energy doing a full sprint to get away which would cause their muscles to fill with alot more lactic acid(or whatever they have), while the humans or dogs going at 50% would take longer to fill with lactic acid and thereby be able to run down the deer.

Last edited by Chopayne; 01-18-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:28 AM
Spike

Default Buffalo

Originally Posted by Chopayne
Depended on the location, some places it was a metropolis.

3Seasons is correct though in all his comments, and the animals probably died alot more painful frantic deaths they do today. We dont necessarily need these animals to survive, the Native Americans if they didn't catch it, well then they didnt eat.

Hehe Buffalo wasnt everywhere, youre talking more of the tribes near the Dakotas.

But yea, it wasnt uncommon for Native Americans to run hundreds of Buffalo off a cliff in the areas they existed. NW Native Americans did alot more Fishing. Some based alot of their food of agricultural. But it was literally as much as they could get for the least amount of work. We oftentimes think of them as living among nature and living with a smaller footprint than the european settlers who colonized the Americas, but, in truth, they cleared out vast expanses of land and killed alot of animals. They switched to guns because it was alot more effective which = more food.
Buffalo wasn't anywhere. Bison however roamed most of the United States.

bisonbelong
.ca/en/
history_na
.php

Last edited by Nope; 11-06-2017 at 05:29 AM. Reason: I misspelled roamed
Old 11-06-2017, 05:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

You do know no one has been on this thread for 4 years.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is an interesting subject. Most of my experience is the Pacific coast and South West Desert tribes.

I think the coastal natives invented the word pot luck. Whatever was available and easy went into the pot. Everything from lizards to rodents.

This image people have of the noble Red man riding his horse on a Buffalo hunt is for the most part is BS. Riding horses is recent 300-400 years.

One of my neighbors was a department head at UCLA. I collected for him on my hunts. I collected everything from Rattlesnakes to finding old Indian campsites. Documented my finds and reported. Collected wildlife.

The Pacific coast Indians lived hand to mouth, their campsites were pretty darned primitive and temporary. They followed the food supply seasonally, but would reuse the same camp sites for generations. The vast majority of the bones at a campsite were small game

A lot of mollusks, Rodents and other small game. Bones form larger animals were rare. One hypothesis is that humans were mostly scavengers and would steal kills form other predators.

One thing I found really interesting, many of the campsites could be spotted from the vegetation. Much (most) of the vegetation in a quarter mile radius from a generational campsite was edible. Kind of a micro flora of what was common in a broader area. Best guess is they would collect seeds form far and wide and their excrement closer to home would transplant edible species nearby. It was so common and persistent you can see it today if you look closely and recognize what you are seeing. You can walk around a many thousand years old campsite today and eat most of the nearby vegetation.

I think Bison was Tatanka in Lakota. Bison is a German word (maybe Latin) pronounced beeson. I think the old English word is Wesend

Last edited by MudderChuck; 11-06-2017 at 07:19 AM.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:56 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by ihookem1
I can walk right up on a deer cause I'm the deer whisperer. On a serious note, Once I shot a buck and couldn't find it. I tracked with a flashlight well into dark. By the time it got totally dark a storm came in and it was very windy on my way to the cabin. When I got close to the cabin where I put out apples and some corn I heard some deer moving. As I shined there was an old doe eating and looking around. Being windy( 30 mph gusts) I shined and walked to within 15 ft of the deer. It didn't know I was there even with the light. A decent stick bow with a stone broadhead most likely woul dhave killed it. It was very close and un concerned.
The reason it couldn't see you is because deer don't register light the same as we do. Actually, It would have easily seen you if you had turned your light off. Because the deer's eyes were adjusted for darkness, a small amount of light could blind it to any objects around the light source. This is also utilized by hunters and other prey during sunset. Putting the sun behind the hunter allows prey to sneak up on deer.

Also, when a deer sees light it doesn't register as danger, but rather just some light. (Unless the deer has learned over its lifetime that light at night means danger.)