Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How Did Native Americans Hunt Deer? >

How Did Native Americans Hunt Deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How Did Native Americans Hunt Deer?

Old 01-13-2013, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by skinnnner
What your saying mOnoped is keep at the deer and eventualy the deer will tire of exhaustion?and when does the person chasing the deer rest?
Exhaustion only if you run it,no stopping. Confusion if you stay on it less than a run.
You don,t rest,back to heart and lung argument again.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:41 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by monoped
Exhaustion only if you run it,no stopping. Confusion if you stay on it less than a run.
You don,t rest,back to heart and lung argument again.
I think ill just let you believe whatever you want.untill i see proof ill write it off as fiction.even if someone was able to do this its not a method anyone would use to capture their food.there are much simpler ways that wouldnt involve as much effort.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:42 PM
Typical Buck

Btw i dont buy that a humans heart and lungs are more capable then a deers.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by skinnnner
Btw i dont buy that a humans heart and lungs are more capable then a deers.
Based on opinion or research? You can find out or keep dragging the cat home backwards,you don,t believe my experiences great. But they differ from your opinion in a tangible way. Start with their heart in relation to body size and its ability to perform at top speed for how long. Science, not folktales,how you going to get proof to suit your self without actually doing something?..
Try www.americanscientist.org>...>January-February2002

Look up deer endurance. Still being run down by western natives in 1950's. Mention of eastern natives running down deer and moose.
Just cause you don,t buy people being in condition to run down deer don,t mean its fiction.

Last edited by monoped; 01-13-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:51 PM
Typical Buck

Based on opinion or research? You can find out or keep dragging the cat home backwards,you don,t believe my experiences great. But they differ from your opinion in a tangible way. Start with their heart in relation to body size and its ability to perform at top speed for how long. Science, not folktales.
I have been looking this up and some ppl have claimed to have done it but all it is is storys nothing more.based on what?based on common sense.not what other ppl claim.like iv stated even if its been done before it wasnt a common way ppl hunted their food,they perfured the biggest bang for thier buck with the lest amount of energy so no i wouldnt consider useing it as a way of hunting back in the day.man is far more inteligent than an animal in many ways but we are not physicaly superior,not even close.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:09 PM
Typical Buck

Where is there any proof of this being possable or is it all from what youve read?
Old 01-13-2013, 08:32 PM
Fork Horn

Did you miss me saying i,ve run them? I was not reading a book in the process. Go on and give them super powers,it seems to suit you. Try not to get chased by one.
Traps most efficient way to eat labor wise but for deer not always an option. Numbers a factor. Area too. A noose would be great but have fun making strong cordage with out a lot of labor.
Your selling people short who traveled on shanks mare and knew how to run. For survival and sport.
No couch,t.v.,cars,garbage diet or today's doing little more than waddle.
Took white folk a long time to break the 5 minute barrier on the mile. Like it wasn,t done before?ha.

Last edited by monoped; 01-13-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:43 PM
Typical Buck

Did you miss me saying i,ve run them? I was not reading a book in the process. Go on and give them super powers,it seems to suit you. Try not to get chased by one.
Traps most efficient way to eat labor wise.
Your selling people short who traveled on shanks mare and knew how to run.
No couch,t.v.,cars,garbage diet or today's doing little more than waddle.
Took white folk a long time to break the 5 minute barrier on the mile. Like it wasn,t done before?ha.
Ok well go do it again and video it,id love to see it
Old 01-14-2013, 01:37 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Hunting deer via tracking in fresh snow is still done, but usually with guns in vast areas of public land. A guy posted here about his hunt a year ago. To do so with primitive weapons would be a bit harder but I could see it being done. Lots of energy used, but all in a day, and if you get your game, you are set with a lot of food. Also, if somehow the trackers could work in groups so new ones could pick up the chase, I could see how a fresh runner could close the gap once the deer is tired and confused. And often deer will run a large circle, so fresh runners could pick up on the trail on the circle back.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:11 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by MZS
Hunting deer via tracking in fresh snow is still done, but usually with guns in vast areas of public land. A guy posted here about his hunt a year ago. To do so with primitive weapons would be a bit harder but I could see it being done. Lots of energy used, but all in a day, and if you get your game, you are set with a lot of food. Also, if somehow the trackers could work in groups so new ones could pick up the chase, I could see how a fresh runner could close the gap once the deer is tired and confused. And often deer will run a large circle, so fresh runners could pick up on the trail on the circle back.
Yes id agree with that.tracking fresh deer tracks in the snow is one of my favorite ways to hunt,iv killed four bucks score over 150 this way.its an exciteing way to hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.