Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How Did Native Americans Hunt Deer? >

How Did Native Americans Hunt Deer?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How Did Native Americans Hunt Deer?

Old 01-13-2013, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by skinnnner
So your saying under the right terrain a human can chase down a deer?lol!!still not buying that by the way iv never tried to chase down a deer but iv seen on many occasions deer run close to a mile with no signs of slowing down,i dont know of anyone capable of covering as much ground so fast.deer dont run short distances because thats all they are capable of they just run untill they feel like they have escaped danger.
They get out of site,take evasive action and monitor back trail. I would rather have you set after a fawn or yearling and push it hard don,t let it rest.
Then when you have finished tell you what happened before you tell me.
The attitude is a cross between confusion and giving up. todays sportsmen would feel funny after if they have a heart. After speeding off multiple times it will watch your approach like it is in disbelief. Research should turn up some info for you to acquire evidence or credible to you, opinion.

Those deer pogo bouncing flag high are saying they are healthy to a predator. Isolated and pursued at high speed they change to just trying to keep ahead,pursued longer they are in trouble.
Mind you five or six miles was standard fare when i ran cross country in high school.
Many folks faster and running farther today.
For a historic run look up mike severs in 1814 who ran from kentucky to alabama to arrive 3 hrs ahead of horsemen and won a bet.prior to battle of new orleans.

Last edited by monoped; 01-13-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:30 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by monoped
They get out of site,take evasive action and monitor back trail. I would rather have you set after a fawn or yearling and push it hard don,t let it rest.
Then when you have finished tell you what happened before you tell me.
The attitude is a cross between confusion and giving up. todays sportsmen would feel funny after if they have a heart. After speeding off multiple times it will watch your approach like it is in disbelief. Research should turn up some info for you to acquire evidence or credible to you, opinion.

Those deer pogo bouncing flag high are saying they are healthy to a predator. Isolated and pursued at high speed they change to just trying to keep ahead,pursued longer they are in trouble.
I was just looking it up and some ppl acually believe its possable,i dont.i can see chaseing down a fawn,as a farm boy we would get bored so iv seen it done.but not even the healthiest human is any match for a mature deer.the vast amount of distance it would cover would give it plenty of time to recouperate before you caught up to it.there is no way you can chase a deer down under its own enviorment.even if it was possable man has neverhad any need to,arrows spears traps etc etc has been around ever since humans have been hunting.if you are hunting for food and not trophy its pointless to exert as much human energy as possable.they would sooner run them off cliffs with horses
Old 01-13-2013, 05:43 PM
Typical Buck

Btw whitetails dont wave thier tail like a flag to tell predators they are healthy they do it to warn other deer of danger
Old 01-13-2013, 05:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I invite some of you fellows down to eastern North Carolina to watch some deer dogs chase deer all day...Feel free to wear your jogging shoes and fall in...
Old 01-13-2013, 05:50 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
I invite some of you fellows down to eastern North Carolina to watch some deer dogs chase deer all day...Feel free to wear your jogging shoes and fall in...
Lol!i think some ppl watch too much walt disney
Old 01-13-2013, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by skinnnner
Btw whitetails dont wave thier tail like a flag to tell predators they are healthy they do it to warn other deer of danger
Then why do some singles do it and some in a group not?
I will accept it is voluntary on their part.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:01 PM
Spike

Well, as far as I know, human scents of native people before are far different of modern people today. Cherokees are known for their strong instinct and they connect their senses to the forest. So it's easy to track deer and get unnoticed.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:03 PM
Typical Buck

What your saying mOnoped is keep at the deer and eventualy the deer will tire of exhaustion?and when does the person chaseing the deer rest?
Old 01-13-2013, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by monoped
Then why do some singles do it and some in a group not?
I will accept it is voluntary on their part.
Its common knowledge its to warn other deer.its not to tell predators how healthy they are
Old 01-13-2013, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
Would like that. Liked Archibald Rutledge's accounts of runs.

Last edited by monoped; 01-13-2013 at 06:13 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.