Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Legality Question

Old 01-06-2013, 05:31 PM
Spike

Default Legality Question

So today as Im coaching some 9th graders in lacrosse I get a phone call during halftime. Its my girlfriend's aunt who is saying "Please tell me that is you infront of my house hunting". Well apparently she was feeding her 3 kids ages 3 and 1 (twins) and heard someone shooting in front of her house. She thought it was me and one of my friends because im the only one who has permission to hunt there property. Well it wasn't me. She called her husband who immedately came home from work and confronted the men. They said that they were just looking for a deer that they shot yesterday (Saturday) which was the last day of shotgun season. This is the 3rd time this year that these people have been on his property hunting. I ran into them once right after i killed my deer and i saw them shooting at a deer on the other end of his woods when i was driving by one day. So first are they legally allowed to shoot at an animal that is no longer in season even if they "injured it" and whats the whole situation with people tracking deer onto other peoples property? like are there any rules or regulations or if you shot it you can track it ? Thanks guys
Old 01-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Banned

What state are you in?
As tresspassing laws will vary by state
Old 01-06-2013, 06:06 PM
Spike

Maryland 10 character limit sucks lol
Old 01-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

And they didn't call the law/warden because.... ?
Old 01-06-2013, 06:33 PM
Banned

Hopefully someone will jump in with specifics on md tress passing laws.
Generally its a minor offense to tresspass on unposted property. If its an offense at all.

If a violation occurs while tresspassing then adds to the penalty.
You stated person shot the deer day after the season?
You are generally allowed to take a kill shot to put the animal out of its misery.
But don't know if day after the shot would count as such.
If game violation did occur then that occuring while tresspassing would increase the penalty.

Without knowing details, gut feeling tells me it wasn't a mercy kill, and he was poaching.
Either way, you cannot enforce that law.
You should let local authorities know what's going on.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:28 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Check your laws, but most likely they have no legal right to shoot a deer anywhere a day after season is over. And most likely they have no right to go on your land without permission, even if the deer drops dead there. Consult your regulations - the answers are probably within them.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ditto what MZS stated!
Old 01-07-2013, 05:36 AM
Fork Horn

make your own rules if it is your property.
OR
deal with the game warden, sheriff etc.

Tell them ......."Yes you can track the deer but FIRST......When the game warden comes.....Lets go to the exact spot you shot it and get it."

That will tell the WHOLE story.

Last edited by Buckyou; 01-07-2013 at 05:38 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:22 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Buckyou
Tell them ......."Yes you can track the deer but FIRST......When the game warden comes.....Lets go to the exact spot you shot it and get it."

That will tell the WHOLE story.
Ditto.

In the states I hunt: no game law allows recovery of a dead deer IF the property owner does not give trespass permission.

No game law allows a compassion/mercy kill for a wounded deer.

Better to call the Wardens first and ask them to intervene.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DeppedyDogg
Ditto.

In the states I hunt: no game law allows recovery of a dead deer IF the property owner does not give trespass permission.

No game law allows a compassion/mercy kill for a wounded deer.

Better to call the Wardens first and ask them to intervene.

In NY and PA,
while it is a violation to tresspass on unposted land,
its not a criminal violation and all wardens can do is tell the tresspasser to leave,
dont think one can be fined/charged with tresspassing on unposted land, unless a criminal violation also occurs while tresspassing,
if one is advised of no tresspassing, either through posting signs, or direct notification, then the tresspasser can be charged witha higher degree of tresspassing,

law, on mercy kills?
havent looked into that, i was under the impression while hunting,
after tracking one is allowed to take a shot as a mercy kill, that would be on an animal one initially shot,
how that applies when final shot is placed after season date i dont know. probably npt legal,
pure speculation here,

as a property owner they should inform the person no hunting allowed,
and to enforce that they should get local officials involved,
local cops tend not to do much on general tresspassing,
but if game violations occurred game wardens would probably be more interested.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.