HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Can't find my 8 point (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/377329-cant-find-my-8-point.html)

Austinhuntman 01-03-2013 02:07 PM

Can't find my 8 point

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys I posted a thread a while ago about an 8 point that I saw 2 times. Well I hunted that place that I saw him at and haven't seen him again well we think he has moved into a different field so I posted some pics of some of the fields that he would've moved to if he did move to one the first one is where he was spotted originally and all the other ones are other food plots I pu a peg in one spot that has a small food plot that you can't see from the air. So my question is where do you guys think he would have went to so I can go after him on a youth hunt here soon

Austinhuntman 01-03-2013 02:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That small field behind it

DeppedyDogg 01-03-2013 02:58 PM

I

I suspect he's using the 'property' different.

Do you use trail cameras?
If not, maybe using one is important now.
If you do, try positioning one on a travel route or 'game trail' close to the original plot. As you begin to find them (you may have to move it around) you can follow them closer to shooting light to discover their diurnal pattern. That is, the pattern they use during light change.

I suspect you will find they are using cover a greater part of the day. You just have to find out where they are WHEN you can shoot them.

If you do not use trail cameras, now is a good time to invest in one.

WestVirginiaBrent 01-03-2013 03:00 PM

I think you need to forget about fields, he's probably nocturnal concerning them and focus on thick bedding areas or a deer drive.

Patterning a deer now, as opposed to prior to rifle season, or the rut, two totally different beasts. Late season to me always means I am going deep. If your area is still rutting good, then one may venture into a field, but I would focus on areas you think are bedding spots in brush.

BP_Niccum 01-03-2013 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by DeppedyDogg (Post 4023497)
I suspect he's using the 'property' different.

Do you use trail cameras?
If not, maybe using one is important now.
If you do, try positioning one on a travel route or 'game trail' close to the original plot. As you begin to find them (you may have to move it around) you can follow them closer to shooting light to discover their diurnal pattern. That is, the pattern they use during light change.

I suspect you will find they are using cover a greater part of the day. You just have to find out where they are WHEN you can shoot them.

If you do not use trail cameras, now is a good time to invest in one.

X2 when they get pressured they change what they do, dosnt always mean the leave.

Austinhuntman 01-03-2013 03:07 PM

Yes we use trail cams but we have pulled them as the youth hunt is really soon and we wouldn't really have time to use them or pattern them very effectively so we haven't had them out since about a month ago

Austinhuntman 01-03-2013 03:09 PM

And we don't have any stands back in the woods where we think he is

BP_Niccum 01-03-2013 03:14 PM

Well then I suggest while hes out feeding at early dawn still dark that you get in deep in the woods and sit down on the trails going to the bedding area. Mind the wind, but if you get in there early enough you should have a crack at him ONCE find some good micro terrain or set up next to a tree and cover your lower self with natural foligae and leaves is micro terrain is sparse in there.

Good luck

Niccum

Austinhuntman 01-03-2013 03:17 PM

But we don't know if he is still in there or where he is feeding

DeppedyDogg 01-03-2013 03:31 PM

Yeah

This late in the season, post rut or even post second rut you can expect they are using cover most of the day.

Find cover. Thick cover and you will probably find shootable deer.

If using trail cams is not an option, you are limited to guess work or at least, deductive reasoning. Figure he is in heavy cover and browse feeding during daylight hours, field feeding at night.

If you can find the thickest cover in this area, you've most-likely found him. It's all about wind direction, light direction and sound at this point.

Keep in mind: Deer will >>most of the time<< watch downhill, into the sun with the wind at their backs or quartering to. They can cover 360 degrees this way. Lacking hilly terrain: They will watch the area their scent cone is blowing into, same reason.

This is experience for me, some 30 years worth.
YMMV.

BTW: All it takes is one effective picture to make a story. Just because you put them away doesn't mean their effectiveness is diminished. You use of or lack of use of trail cams affects your effectiveness more so.