Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Thermacell

Old 01-05-2013, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

Glad to have seen this thread I thought it was just one of those silly take you for your money trinkets. Will be getting one now too
Old 01-08-2013, 01:12 PM
Typical Buck

I was very skeptical at first, espicially considering the scent and the smoke. I went up a tree opening morning in TN and was immediately slammed by a Hurricaine Katrina aftermath status mosquito swarm. My dad was never a big fan of gimmicks and gadgets so, like always, he convinced me not to take it. I should have learned my lesson on listening to him about things like that way back when I was a kid. He once convinced me not to take a turkey call, so I ended up calling in a tom with my mouth... haha. So I digress. This mosquito tactical assault was more than I could bear when I remembered that I had a Thermacell pad in my coveralls and a lighter. I burnt the pad and immediately the mosquitos and no see ums were gone when I got that familiar feeling that game is close. I looked around and three does had come out of a thicket about 18 yards behind me and downwind. They came all the way up beneath me tree without a clue I was there. I got a shot on the biggest doe and took her heart out, pretty as can be. From that moment forth I pledged to myself to never hunt again in the early season without one. I can deal with ticks and chiggers. Mosquitos and their flying, biting, infernal hell-beast relatives are just unacceptable. Sorry to rant, but yes, long story short, I have seen several other deer very close and even downwind not pay a bit of attention to the Thermacell. BB
Old 01-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have one that I have had for a few years. It works great for hunting, fishing, and camping. My wife even steals it from time to time to work on her flowers during the spring.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was extremely skeptical about this product, considering it to be just one more gimmick. I was dead wrong. This works. I have not ever experienced a deer spooking as the result of me using a Thermacell device.

Down my way skeeters, no-see-ums, gnats and biting flies can be he!! in the early days of deer season ... when it can be 90F+. So the bugs are out !!! And one place that I hunt is 600 acres of a multi-thousand acre swamp. You don't have effective repellent you will be minerable.

However I have found one shortcoming .... if there is even a slight breeze, the Thermacell is not nearly as effective. Much more than say 3-5 mph, it is useless at keeping bugs at bay. And it is rather bulky to carry ... and takes up precious pack space if you are hiking in.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:05 PM
JW
Super Moderator

You want one with no smoke and no smell?

Runs on a battery operated fan
No heat.

JW
Old 01-08-2013, 06:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was told the Thermacell won't work at high altitude. Anybody agree with that?
Old 01-08-2013, 07:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hadn't heard that, but since it operates on a straight butane cartridge I could see where that might cause a problem at high altitudes.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:51 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Then again at high altitudes you probably won't have mosquitoes anyhow.

JW
Old 01-08-2013, 07:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Actually, we do. I fight them all summer scouting, and hunting the ML season in early Sept.

Lots of water there.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Now I remember where I read it. Right from the Thermacell website for the FAQ.

Q: My ThermaCELL device is not working correctly at high elevations. What can I do?
A: Unfortunately, most ThermaCELL mosquito appliances and lanterns will not work well at higher elevations. At altitudes above 4,500 feet (above sea level), most units become difficult to start and run. The lower air density causes the problem. If you are having trouble using your ThermaCELL at high elevation, it is probably not a defective appliance, but just a limitation of the product at high elevation.