Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Season's Over For Me...

Old 12-31-2012, 01:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default Season's Over For Me...

Now that the season is over for me, time to start planning for next year.

Already working with a few of my partners about Plot Planting, costs, strategies, etc.

Working on a cellular cam for the plot and some of the trails, maybe obtaining an ATV for grunt work.

Posting the property is our choice, that may be a go for next year.

Anyway, if the Deer Season is over for you (or when it becomes over for you) how do you reconcile last years' endeavors with plans for next season? What are you doing now that 2012 is done?
Old 12-31-2012, 01:47 PM
Typical Buck

Making deer jerky lol. I suck at planning, i just hope what worked this year will work again next year.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:12 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Working on a new gun stand fairly close in to our house that I can sneak in during early morning without alerting anything. Got busted last year on an early AM gun hunt as a result of walking near a deer on the way to my stand.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:13 PM
Spike

Too easy, scouting scouting scouting. Now that deer is over rabbit is in full swing so between that I'm letting the deer rest but at the same time keeping cameras up looking for sheds, I mainly cover all the woods I didn't have time to during the season. I won't start protein blocks for a couple if months but as far as I'm concerned there is no off season just like regular sport you have to be in your game all year long. Bow issue first thing to come in where in from so I'm constantly shooting practicing and re supplying. The fishing season distracted from time to time but I try to stay vigilant, best if luck
Old 12-31-2012, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

I'm gonna scout a few areas for next year here that are lcoal. I've started planning and saving for a few out of state hunts if all goes well next year. I also would a new gun I want. I haven't told the wife yet though. I'll hunt this weekend and proably leave my camera out to jsut see what all is left then I hope to shed hunt and shot a few yotes before to long.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:34 AM
Typical Buck

My season has been done for a while due to personal reasons. I'm heading out Thursday for some rabbit hunting but wont get much of that done either since I'm working 6 12hr days a week due to someone quitting. I'm going to try and do some shed hunting as well when I can. Other than that just helping my dad cut down all the dead ash trees in our woods.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:34 AM
Typical Buck

Unhappy Today is last day for Michigan.....

I've been tagged out for quite a while now, but I have a buddy that shot a doe early OCT, and he still has a tag left, so I invited him over in hopes he can get a buck. I've owned my property 17 years now, no changes to be made anymore. What I do every 2 JAN is pretty much go over the property with a fine tooth comb looking for any abnormalities, look for any deer that had been shot and ran onto my place (abut State and Federal land) and wasn't recovered, check condition of my fruit bearers, and last, but not least, take down all stands for maintenance. Then I will set my observation stands back up and start scouting and counting the herd from them, basically see who made it and who didn't.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:19 AM
Spike

Well this was my last season of eastern hunting. I'm in NC now but will be moving out west in a few months. To prepare and get used to the different type of hunting out there i'm going to start toting larger packs and covering more ground. I live in the mountains so i'll be scouting on ridge lines and mountain tops while working on my glassing (which needs work). Hopefully i'll be prepared as much as i can for my first season out west.