Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
I saw a buck in the stand, how do I get him to come closer? >

I saw a buck in the stand, how do I get him to come closer?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I saw a buck in the stand, how do I get him to come closer?

Old 12-29-2012, 01:56 PM
Spike

Default I saw a buck in the stand, how do I get him to come closer?

If I was in the stand and saw a nice shooter come across my view, what could I do to get him to come in closer into bow range?
Old 12-29-2012, 02:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Pray first and then rattle and grunt!!!
Old 12-29-2012, 03:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Depends, early or late season, pre-rut or post rut, are his hocks black, etc...

You can just as easily run them away as call them in if you don't know what you are
doing...
Old 12-29-2012, 03:53 PM
Fork Horn

Make shure your set up on the right trail, if they arnt using any of the trails around you you may want to go out at noon and change your stand location as to not disturb there patterns.

Good Luck let us know how it goes!

Niccum
Old 12-29-2012, 03:58 PM
Typical Buck

Move... The next day move to where you saw him... I have shot the majority of my big bucks the 1st time I hunt a stand. You gotta move to them. Hunting the same stands over and over rarely gets the biggest oldest, wisest bucks.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

With the rut behind us for the most part the usual tricks generally go un-noticed. If you can pattern him and move your stand closer but becareful. Don't get your scent in the area or he'll be gone.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default Deer

Move yourself.

Keep the wind on your nose and move your stand location.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:23 AM
Fork Horn

I had best results with a soft bleat call (blown when he can't see you, yet you hear him). Get his curiosity to draw him over. I had young bucks turn away with a grunt call, but then bee line straight for me with the bleat call. Maybe it was a combination of the two calls. I wouldn't move my stand if you are hunting the rut. Why take a chance of disturbing the area when it is comfortable with it's pattern. Let him think with his little brain to bring him over.

However keep these deer patterns in mind for next years hunt, in case there is a better stand placement for next year.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:32 AM
Spike

It depends on the size of the buck if its a smaller buck and you know theres a bigger one around, DO NOT try and grunt the smaller one in you will scare him off.....trust me ive scared a few smaller bucks off by grunting at them. But if he's a nice buck give him a good grunt then he will throw his head up then sit there for a second then start walking toward you. BTW this works much better with a decoy.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

A doe grunt works if he's nervous.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.