Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

In-Stand Entertainment

Old 01-02-2013, 05:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Uncle Nicky
Not me buddy, I tried it a few times, it's not for me. 6 hours is the longest I can sit in the same spot without having to break for lunch or just move around & stretch my legs.
It's a mental thing, I just break up the day into 3 hunts. Morning, afternoon, and evening. At say 10:00AM for instance, I tell myself in one more hour the afternoon hunt begins. Or, at 12:00PM I'll tell myself in another hour the evening hunt starts, ect. It works for me. It's all in the head!
Old 01-02-2013, 09:12 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Father Forkhorn
x2

I take the view that a deer can show up at any moment, any place and I have to be ready. Sometimes I doze off, but not because I want to.
Exactly. The 12 pointer I got this year had a VERY NARROW window of opportunity. Fortunately I was actively watching and saw him immediately.

Frankly, I kind of like the peace and solitude of the woods. I just look around and enjoy myself.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

I too will text a few times while in the stand while its slow but most the time im scanning the woods for movement or listening for the leaves crunching, i have found myself listening so hard that i make myself think i hear noises to keep my eyes wide open looking for the sounds. Works for me so far. And yes, i have found myself trying to take a quick nap in an afternoon hunt, but always tell myself it can happen at anytime so be ready. Few years ago i was dozing off and wasnt really into the hunt cause the wind was blowing and its was fairly warm and i just couldnt hold my eyes open and while doing a head bob i looked up and there was a big 10pt about 25 yds out coming right to me and suddenly i was wide awake, bad thing happened, the deer went around a falling down tree and went away from me instead of how i had planned of him coming to me. lucky for him it was bow season not gun season. and i didnt ever have a clear shot at him while he was in my sight, he always stayed in the thicker brush, reason he is big! oh well its hunting.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default With more hunters...

in permanent condo sites and hang on stands, how in this modern age, will hunters sit for six hours, four hours the next day, two hours the next day.
Why before long, someone will compare it to incarceration in prison with your own prison cell.