HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   How to get deer up a hill by yourself (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/377072-how-get-deer-up-hill-yourself.html)

WestVirginiaBrent 12-28-2012 07:14 AM

How to get deer up a hill by yourself

So you hunt a spot with no way to use an ATV to go get it and no buddies to help you drag it up the hill? No problem, here is what I do.

I devised a "Deer Retrieval Kit" or what I call my "DRK'' to get my deer up the hill where I hunt as I have no atv trail and don't want one because the arduous process of getting a deer out of there keeps other hunters out of my favorite spot.

Here's what you need:

-2 quick release ratchet straps, I use 6' ones.
-2 pullies
-2 D clips
-100' nylon rope

You need to premap your course so you don't run out of usable trees to mount your pulley on, I do it in 30-40 foot segments and believe it or not, the steeper the section (within reason), the easier it is to use this method as your weight and gravity make it easier to drag the deer up while you go down the hill.

-Tie your rope around the ratchet strap, make sure it's the same side the hook you attach the tree pulley to or else you won't be able to quickly detach from the tree (it will be looped around the tree).

-Take the rope that you just tied to the tree and go down to the deer. Wrap a ratchet strap across both antlers several times, attach your D-clip to it and attach the antler pulley to the D-clip. Put the rope through the pulley and walk back up to the tree.

-Attach the pulley to the D-clip and the D-clip to the base of the hook on the ratchet strap, I usually keep the rope and the pulley on the right side of the tree.

-Put the rope through the pulley and you are ready to go.

As you pull the rope down the hill, the deer will go up. I usually wrap it around my hand a few times, throw the rope over my shoulder and walk down the hill.

Once you get the deer to the tree you are using, you simply detach your ratchet strap on the tree, walk up to the next one you're using and repeat the process.

You'll get the hang of it pretty quickly, and it's relatively easy. The biggest pain in the butt is if the deer gets wedged under something or the rope gets a bunch of sticks caught on it.

Tips:

-keep the part of the rope you are pulling on straight down the hill, it makes relocating the setup on the next tree a lot easier.

-Keep the tree pulley as high as you can because it keeps the deer's head up higher and creates less drag and helps get over obstacles easier.

-clear your path of any dead limbs while you are setting it up from tree to tree, it makes it easier.

-Strap your backpack to the deer and drag that up with it.

I have drug a lot of deer using this method and I hope it helps some of you, maybe help you go a little deeper in that public land than you were willing to go in the past.

WestVirginiaBrent 12-28-2012 07:27 AM

Here is the grade I have to deal with:

If the deer dies at the bottom, which they usually do, (son of a guns don't seem to like running up once shot, lol) I have to go up 5 flats like this, a total of about 350 yards and it takes me about 2.5 hours at a slow pace.

I shot this guy this year, and he actually dropped where I shot him, which was only 2 flats from the ridge, which was nice.

DocD 12-28-2012 07:48 AM

VERY GOOOOOOOD!!!!!! You wouldn't own a KLR would ya?? (Nice deer!!!)

WestVirginiaBrent 12-28-2012 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by DocD (Post 4020809)
VERY GOOOOOOOD!!!!!! You wouldn't own a KLR would ya?? (Nice deer!!!)

Kawasaki KLR?

I do own a blue 300 KLX. :o

scottycoyote 12-28-2012 08:10 AM

in west va you need something like that lol, steepest hills ive ever seen

WestVirginiaBrent 12-28-2012 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by scottycoyote (Post 4020822)
in west va you need something like that lol, steepest hills ive ever seen

True story!!

By the time I get the deer to my 4wheeler I am wiped out. By the time I got that top one out I was so beat down I actually used the rope and pulley to help me get it on the rack, lol. It was raining so hard that day that I spent twice the energy as usual getting it up, which is already a considerable amount of energy.

But hey, my spot is a great spot, and I can't let age, laziness, or lack of a trail stop me from going there......yet.

*I used to drag them to the bottom of the hollow and then take a trail up to get my atv but the trail is so damned dangerous now that I had to design this method.

WestVirginiaBrent 12-28-2012 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 4020859)
I once shot a buck on the trail on great north mountain, Its NF so no ATV's allowed, shot him at 9:20 AM, dragged him 1.6 miles out the top of the mountain to my truck (80% of that was either level or uphill) loaded him on my truck at 4:20 PM, was so stiff and sore I had to walk around a bit to limber up so I could depress the clutch pedal.
On short steep drags, grab them by the horns and throw them uphill, take 2 steps throw'em uphill again.
once I dragged a 200# bear .9 miles, thank god it was mostly downhill, I've either gotten older or smarter, won't do the NF thing anymore.
RR

That 2 step and throw em method is too rough for me, plus the ground is so soft it usually is 1 step, stumble, drop the deer, cuss, and then sit on my ass a while. :lolabove:

chazspot 12-28-2012 10:59 AM

Good for you bud! Great deer and great story.

Jasonlester 12-28-2012 12:18 PM

This post made me laugh. I ride a KLR...and I have also done similar to pull deer up a hill...mine wasn't so fancy with the pulleys etc...but a rope around the tree helps for sure.

I used to live in Charlestown. Hunting near there was up and down some hills for sure. I miss that some. At least it was always interesting...

Bocajnala 12-28-2012 12:51 PM

I've done the throwing method, the rope around the tree, and the sit down and pull. Most effective so far has been drag to the bottom and find another way out. I've got a couple very good spots that require uphill drags though. Typically I only hunt those if I'm with a friend or cousin. Still being in my lower 20's, two of us can typically get a deer out of anywhere it decides to go. That is slowly changing though. I'll keep this in mind, great post and good pictures showing how it works.
-Jake