Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How to get deer up a hill by yourself >

How to get deer up a hill by yourself

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How to get deer up a hill by yourself

Old 12-28-2012, 12:55 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by WestVirginiaBrent
Kawasaki KLR?

I do own a blue 300 KLX.

Many Kawasaki KLR riders have a reputation of coming up with ideas overcoming difficulties that arise in difficult situations (kind of a KLR thing)
Old 12-28-2012, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DocD
Many Kawasaki KLR riders have a reputation of coming up with ideas overcoming difficulties that arise in difficult situations (kind of a KLR thing)
Boy ain't that the truth...guess that's why I have Mermite cans hanging off my KLR instead of expensive aluminium boxes....and several other home brew fixes....

Old 12-28-2012, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by WestVirginiaBrent
That 2 step and throw em method is too rough for me, plus the ground is so soft it usually is 1 step, stumble, drop the deer, cuss, and then sit on my ass a while.
LOL this is my way of doing it too. Think I may have to give the pulley system a try. Thanks for posting!
Old 12-28-2012, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't drag out of the National Forest down here in NC...I call the deer in and get my registration number, take my rachet pulley out of my backpack and bone the deer out...I load this in my backpack and walk out with it...

Why drag the carcass out when you have to dispose of it later?? Leave it where the other critters can enjoy...
Old 12-28-2012, 05:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
at the time that wasn't legal here, ya had to take the whole deer to the checking station.
RR

It's amazing how some states hold on to stupid laws like that...If you are "back in" there is no reason to drag that carcass out...It's much easier and faster (the meat will be better) to butcher in the field and bring it out...Can you imagine doing that with and elk???
Old 12-29-2012, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default Uphill

Great plans here!

I usually lash the deer to a 3-4 inch limb snug to the deer's underside.

Drape an orange vest high up, grab the head end of the pole and up and over the shoulder it goes.

Then dragging is no more than short hauls and long rests.

Had to do this in Luray VA a few times. Lots of ravines there. The first year I did that I came up on a still that had been trashed by some Revenuers years before. Interesting find.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

I've passed up on big deer due to this problem.
Now, I am thinking, I'm bringing a hacksaw, and cutting the deer in 1/2 behind the rib cage, and drag out 1/2 at a time.

Anyone try that ???
Old 12-30-2012, 08:06 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by the blur
I've passed up on big deer due to this problem.
Now, I am thinking, I'm bringing a hacksaw, and cutting the deer in 1/2 behind the rib cage, and drag out 1/2 at a time.

Anyone try that ???

No, never thought about that. But with my way you half the weight, so basically you would be doing the same, and if you wanted to carry more rope, you could add a different pulley and quarter the weight. Hey, where there is a will, there is a way.

Hell, if I really wanted to, I could keep a few hundred feet of rope, grab a buddy, and winch them up 25 feet at a time while I just steer the deer away from trees and rocks. I like the loner method though, it's all part of the process to me.

Also, I should note, once you set up this sytem, you just take the ratchet off the tree, the pulley and rope stay on it and you just go to a higher spot and reratchet, you don't have to do anything other setup with the rope or the deer. It's really not that bad, the drag is the easy part, the rifle, the sticks, the bag, and walking the hill twice is the pain in the butt of it.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Physics does work. I just take my darn good time and drag a bit at a time. I'm in no hurry after the shot.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's a very ingenious idea, but too time consuming for me. I'd rather just do the drag a bit, rest, and drag some more routine. Most of the distance that I have to drag is fairly level, but it's usually about a half mile or so out to my truck. At 55 I often ask myself how much longer can I do this? lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.