Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Pausing deer for the shot...

Old 12-27-2012, 01:21 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by GTOHunter
I agree with Bukmastr also.....some times making a sound alerts a wise Buck to Your presence and they end up running even faster away from You.Lots of things they show on the Hunting Shows are under different circumstances and probably where there are much more Deer sightings and there will be another Deer by shortly?

I did the "Mmeeh" sound 1 time when Deer Hunting and I was ready and had my Rifle up for the shot...luckily I got the Buck because he was planning to get out there any ways...I've also seen where Guys have done that and blew their opportunity at a nice Buck when all they had to do was wait for the Deer to walk into a more open area!

Really appreciate all the input. It sounds like there are occasional situations where one could consider pausing them, but that it's kind of a risky enterprise because it puts them on alert.

I think on the whole it's probably best to be patient and wait for the shot if you can.

Very informative thread though and again really appreciate everyone's input.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:38 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

My experience is that anything that allows the deer to focus on me and my location ends up with a big white tail flapping in my face. I think if one could set up a remote noise or deer call off to the side (if allowed by law), this could be effective.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:54 AM
Typical Buck

Default Yep,

I do it all the time, that said, you had better pull the trigger the second he stops because you are now busted.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:49 PM
Spike

clivenger I have practiced this during the off season, They usually just go merr! It works great. I have seen video where the hunter just makes a low ticking sound. He claimed that the merr sometimes scares the deer. I haven't seen any jump or be skiddish yet. Merr, and they usually stop and look to see what made that sound,. I don't bow hunt so I never tried it hunting. I shoot them moving no problem. But I do know for sure merr works. Good luck.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:46 AM
Typical Buck

It does work "Most of the time"... But why risk it if your going to get a shot anyway?
If you are going to stop deer for a shot while bow hunting, I would strongly suggest not doing at ranges aproaching 30 yards or more, cause all focus will be on you after you stop them, and they will react to the sound of the bow, and won't be exactly where they where when you squeazed the release. Sound travels way faster than any arrow and gives the deer plenty of time to react...
People seem to think they get a better more focused shot when they stop a deer, but if it turns slightly quartering you, or stops behind an obstacle, your screwed, cause his next move after stopping is most likely bolting.
On TV shows the guys are usually hunting large managed properties where these deer recieve little pressure... There 1/2 tame. I hunt in the real world. 90% of my hunting is on public land with high pressure. Most of the mature bucks I shoot have wounds from other hunters, I find arrow heads, and bullets when butchering... By the time a buck gets to shooter status "in the real world" it knows to get the heck out of Dodge when ever it hears something abnormal.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Interesting perspective

Originally Posted by Bukmastr
It does work "Most of the time"... But why risk it if your going to get a shot anyway?
If you are going to stop deer for a shot while bow hunting, I would strongly suggest not doing at ranges aproaching 30 yards or more, cause all focus will be on you after you stop them, and they will react to the sound of the bow, and won't be exactly where they where when you squeazed the release. Sound travels way faster than any arrow and gives the deer plenty of time to react...
People seem to think they get a better more focused shot when they stop a deer, but if it turns slightly quartering you, or stops behind an obstacle, your screwed, cause his next move after stopping is most likely bolting.
On TV shows the guys are usually hunting large managed properties where these deer recieve little pressure... There 1/2 tame. I hunt in the real world. 90% of my hunting is on public land with high pressure. Most of the mature bucks I shoot have wounds from other hunters, I find arrow heads, and bullets when butchering... By the time a buck gets to shooter status "in the real world" it knows to get the heck out of Dodge when ever it hears something abnormal.
This is certainly an interesting perspective, but it makes me wonder why so many deer are walking around injured. Could it be because many have chosen to shoot at moving deer and made bad shots?
Old 12-28-2012, 12:15 PM
Typical Buck

This is certainly an interesting perspective, but it makes me wonder why so many deer are walking around injured. Could it be because many have chosen to shoot at moving deer and made bad shots?
You would be more likely to wound a deer by putting it on alert and then taking the shot. They don't jump the string usually when they are not alerted 1st...
Most people who don't stop deer, wait till the deer stops naturaly. But, I certainly have no issue with shooting a walking deer at close range.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:52 PM
Spike

Let's not suggest that people who shoot at walking deer are the reason for wounded animals. Every hunting situation is different. Some hunters think there guns can shoot through brush. Some hunters get nervous point and jerk the trigger. Some people shoot guns that have too much recoil and they flinch. Some people watch fields and the deer will stop. Some are in the woods. Some hunters shoot at them too far away for their skill level. There are all kids of reasons people wound deer. Some hunters have no idea of the bullets they are shooting. Using bullets designed for thick skinned heavy boned animals is not a very smart practice.I really don't think shooting at a walking deer or stopping them before you pull the trigger is the reason there are so many wounded deer.
However I could be wrong. I'm surely not an expert.

Last edited by acfbo1; 12-28-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default Bad shot?

Originally Posted by acfbo1
Let's not suggest that people who shoot at walking deer are the reason for wounded animals. Every hunting situation is different. Some hunters think there guns can shoot through brush. Some hunters get nervous point and jerk the trigger. Some people shoot guns that have too much recoil and they flinch. Some people watch fields and the deer will stop. Some are in the woods. Some hunters shoot at them too far away for their skill level. There are all kids of reasons people wound deer. Some hunters have no idea of the bullets they are shooting. Using bullets designed for thick skinned heavy boned animals is not a very smart practice.I really don't think shooting at a walking deer or stopping them before you pull the trigger is the reason there are so many wounded deer.
However I could be wrong. I'm surely not an expert.
I've never lost a deer due to stopping them when moving, matter of fact, I've recovered every deer I've hit. I've never taken a shot over 30 yards with my bow, or over 100 yards with my firearms, my property is pretty "Squatchie". 42 and counting. Like you said, I don't fancy myself as an expert, but I'm sure each incident has its individual reasons as to why it was "off target."

Last edited by tight360; 01-01-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:14 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bukmastr
Awesome post.