Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Pausing deer for the shot...

Old 12-25-2012, 05:09 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bukmastr
I try not to stop them... I try to be patient and wait for a shot. I only stop them if they are running, or moving fast in heavy cover. You need to already have your bow drawn and be ready to take the shot when you stop him... The reason I try to wait is cause naturally deer will usually give you a good shot if you wait for it. However, some deer run when you do it. Especially old cagey bucks that have had everything in the book thrown at them over the years. You also put a deer on edge when you stop them. They stop cause something alerted them, this tenses them up, and they are far more likely to jump the string at the sound of your bow going off.
I have grunt stopped them, whisteled, and yelled "HEY" when they were running and could not hear a grunt or whistle. I personally don't think it matters what kind of noise you use.
Interesting.

Up to now I hadn't used it, but I was considering stopping them with noises in the future. I hadn't needed it yet, but there are scenarios where I thought I might, especially as I get into bow hunting (I mostly have rifle hunted).
Old 12-25-2012, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

I have used different sounds. The bleet that others have mentioned, I've yelled "HEY" I've whistled. It depends on the situation. How tense the deer seems to be, how far away, where other deer are. All that. Read the situation, and follow your instinct.
-Jake
Old 12-25-2012, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sdhunter11
Thanks for posting. That was really good even for experienced hunters.

If you are ever hunting mule deer, about anything will stop them. I always have an elk call in my mouth, when bow hunting mulies in the mountains.

While rifle hunting, I have stopped mulies with a whistle.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

While I have stopped numerous bucks with a "mmeh", the only reaction that has gotten from a doe is FLAG!
Old 12-26-2012, 02:49 AM
Fork Horn

There has been only one time in almost 50 years of hunting when I had to stop a deer and that was last year during muzzle loader season. There was a BIG doe coming mostly toward me at a dead run. I had no good shot as fast as she was running, so with nothing to lose, I gave out a loud "HEY" and she came to a complete stop! I had a nice broadside shot at about 50 yards and put venison in the freezer. Would that work again, I don't know. The only way I would try it again is under very similar circumstances.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

I never do it, it puts them on alert, and they are a lot quicker on alert. The reason you see all the TV shows do it is because they want that stand still shot for their camera, IMO.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like to make a "baaahhh" almost sheep like sound and they always stop. I had a doe come by me earlier this season at close range and I thought she was so close that I didn't need to stop her. BIG MISTAKE. I gut shot her and lost her.

Always stop a deer when archery hunting if they are not stopped already.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've stopped a few bucks for the shot, but as mentioned, you had better already be at full draw and finger on the release trigger before you do . It's a one and done situation. I prefer not to stop a deer, as a relaxed deer is an easier kill.

Earlier in the season I actually brought into bow range a small buck who was walking straight away from me by just mouthing "errrrrr". He was just curious, I guess. He'll learn!
Old 12-26-2012, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bukmastr
I try not to stop them... I try to be patient and wait for a shot. I only stop them if they are running, or moving fast in heavy cover. You need to already have your bow drawn and be ready to take the shot when you stop him... The reason I try to wait is cause naturally deer will usually give you a good shot if you wait for it. However, some deer run when you do it. Especially old cagey bucks that have had everything in the book thrown at them over the years. You also put a deer on edge when you stop them. They stop cause something alerted them, this tenses them up, and they are far more likely to jump the string at the sound of your bow going off.
I have grunt stopped them, whisteled, and yelled "HEY" when they were running and could not hear a grunt or whistle. I personally don't think it matters what kind of noise you use.
Here's the best advice you are going to get. Look at the barn wall. Nuf said.

Don't stop them unless absolutely necessary. Just be ready to make the shot when they stop themselves.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Bukmastr also.....some times making a sound alerts a wise Buck to Your presence and they end up running even faster away from You.Lots of things they show on the Hunting Shows are under different circumstances and probably where there are much more Deer sightings and there will be another Deer by shortly?

I did the "Mmeeh" sound 1 time when Deer Hunting and I was ready and had my Rifle up for the shot...luckily I got the Buck because he was planning to get out there any ways...I've also seen where Guys have done that and blew their opportunity at a nice Buck when all they had to do was wait for the Deer to walk into a more open area!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.