Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Attracting deer Suggestions

Old 12-21-2012, 03:45 AM
Spike

Default Attracting deer Suggestions

I have about 30 acres of woods I hunt. There always seem to be 3 or 4 doe that are bedded in there but I rarely find any buck. I have a couple on my trail cam mostly at night. How can I attract more buck into the woods. I have clear a little patch that I will plant to a food plot in the spring. Any suggestions of what to plant? I want buck to frequent the woods more, not just every once and a while pass through.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:29 AM
Fork Horn

Not a whole lot you can do really. Baiting doesn't ever really seem to bring in big bucks and if it does its a night time occurance. Most places seem to hold bucks or they don't hold bucks. You may be able to try some mock scrapes during pre rut and rut but even those again are generally visited at night time. Dont wanna sound totally negative but your chances of drawing in bucks on a frequent basis via bait, scent or any other means are very slim. Never hurts to try but don't get your hopes up like there is some tactic thats going to make this happen for you. Like I said earlier its always seemed to me that some places are just magnets for bucks and they always frequent these places and others just do not. You are also working with an incredibly small piece of property which will make things 10 times harder than say if you were on several hundred acres somewhere. It never hurts to try but my advice is to just let it alone and maybe try to find an area on the property that looks the most likely they would pass thru and hunt it as best you can. Remember even places that hold big bucks consistently have mainly night time movement as it is just the nature of the beast and if baiting on even a prime piece of property you can drive a buck to mostly nocturnal movements as he knows the food is always there and has no need to get up and move before dark. Good luck.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default On the other hand...

your bucks are there. If you have does, you have bucks. You just have to find a way to get them moving when you are hunting.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:15 AM
Typical Buck

I used a seed blend from a guy out of Michigan on my small property I hunt this year and deer sightings were over double... The company name is Slayer seed www.slayerseed.com and the blend I used was "crimson trail" or something like that... I had real good late season luck with his radishes too...
It will probably take more than just a food plot to get bucks on your land in day light though... You may have to make some areas better suited for buck bedding. Bucks are pretty particular about where they bed. And, probably most important, you need to back off and hunt less. A land the size you desribed would only be hunted by me by one person about once every couple weeks, and I would have a well planned entrance and exit that does the least amount of damage with your ground scent, and your airborn scent. The trick is to have good bedding, and have less human pressure on your land than the surrounding lands... Plain and simple bucks hang out where the least human scent is... Your ground scent no matter how much you try to remove your scent will be there for up to a few weeks in some cases. Deer know where people go and avoid it.
Also, if you have does bedding on the property, and you leave them alone, come rut, bucks will show up and cruise thru from doe bedding area to doe bedding area. They like to do this in the ;late mornings when they know does are bedded.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:20 AM
Typical Buck

I used a seed blend from a guy out of Michigan on my small property I hunt this year and deer sightings were over double... The company name is Slayer seed www.slayerseed.com and the blend I used was "crimson trail" or something like that... I had real good late season luck with his radishes too...
It will probably take more than just a food plot to get bucks on your land in day light though... You may have to make some areas better suited for buck bedding. Bucks are pretty particular about where they bed. And, probably most important, you need to back off and hunt less. A land the size you desribed would only be hunted by me by one person about once every couple weeks, and I would have a well planned entrance and exit that does the least amount of damage with your ground scent, and your airborn scent. The trick is to have good bedding, and have less human pressure on your land than the surrounding lands... Plain and simple bucks hang out where the least human scent is... Your ground scent no matter how much you try to remove your scent will be there for up to a few weeks in some cases. Deer know where people go and avoid it.
Also, if you have does bedding on the property, and you leave them alone, come rut, bucks will show up and cruise thru from doe bedding area to doe bedding area. They like to do this in the ;late mornings when they know does are bedded.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:59 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bukmastr

slayerseed= AWESOME!!! I bought some this past year. Good to go for sure.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:14 PM
Spike

My place in Al is west fenceline of a 2 sq. mile plot managed by a business man for his clients as a tax write-off. 40 acre green fields, planted crops, timber cut overs. There is a major creek(at our point a major watershed) that flows about 150 yds behide my fenceline. W/O a bridge it is isolated from the main property. All the hunting/four-wheelers/trucks are east of the creek. All my waste fruit (pears/peaches/apples) and deer-edible products go back to the fenceline. I plant a 1 acre food plot with turnips/radishes/wheat/oats/clover and rye(off moonshine stills we bust). I have a core group of deer families that circulate thru the neighborhood, 7 in one, 4 in another, ect. 10/14/12 I videoed 8 deer in my yard less than 89 yds to tree line. 2 10pts, 2 8 pts, a 6pt, a spike and 2 does. 12/19/12 a 130 class 8pt was feeding in the green field just before dark-shame on him! Shot was w/ new M/L and smoke covered path of flight. Found lung tissue @ POI, big blood splash going west 10' from POI then ZIP! After dark search of woods was 0, nxt am 0 bloodtrail, even for Beagles. Wife found it mid am in brushpile less than 100 yds from POI.