Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How to dress warm?

Old 12-18-2012, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

My thermals are military thermals the two layer ones
Old 12-18-2012, 10:14 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Layers and loose clothing/boots, regardless of what you use. Air itself is the best insulator, so more room and multiple pockets of air help a lot. Then throw in a pair or two of shake-warmers you can get at the gas station and if it is below zero and you are sitting put a few warmers inside your boots.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:27 PM
Typical Buck

Wool pants and wool shirt with hunting coat and bibs. Wool is the key factor.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default One more thing

When it's pouring, I will put the gore-tex rainsuit on under the overalls. This protects the suit and keeps me quieter.

I usually stalk during rainy days.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Never had my feet get cold with the boots I wear but I put the warmers in my clothing when it's really cold lower back and chest region. Never tried putting one in my hat yet but who knows. I used to ice fish a lot with out a shelter on Lake Ontario, -20's without wind.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:05 AM
Spike

Head Hands Feet. Don't get those, doesn't matter about the rest, you'll get cold.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:48 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by MZS
Layers and loose clothing/boots, regardless of what you use. Air itself is the best insulator, so more room and multiple pockets of air help a lot. Then throw in a pair or two of shake-warmers you can get at the gas station and if it is below zero and you are sitting put a few warmers inside your boots.

Agreed.

I hunt Minnesota. Regardless of what you wear, layering is the most important part of keeping warm.

If it's cold enough I will have on a baselayer, flannel, sweater, and coat on top. Legs will be covered with long underwear, jeans, and insulated overalls from Carhartt. Feet are covered with waterproof insulated boots and wool socks; you can layer the socks if you have to. Head I have a thermal blaze hat that I wear on top of a balaclava. I wear a neck gaiter from Carhartt too. Gloves you can add a liner and a thick outer pair if you have to.

Remember, it's better to unzip a coat and ventilate if you are too warm than it is to freeze and be uncomfortable all day.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Layers and avoid cotton against the skin. Warm head gear and good gloves. I do a lot of sitting still so in brutally cold weather ... I'll use chem pack warmers to help out.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:37 AM
Fork Horn

Carrhart Only, I have the winter coat, winter bibs, and the carrhart socks.

That keeps me pretty warm. Hell my hunters cap is carrhart!
Old 10-07-2013, 03:25 AM
Fork Horn

If you can keep your feet warm you wont even think about the rest of your body being cold. I wear Irish Setter 2000 gram Snow Stalkers. These boots for as much insulation as they have are not incredibly bulky and truly the only boot Ive ever worn that my feet dont get cold. Not gonna tell you that anything will keep your feet warm but these do keep them from getting cold and if you hunt alot Im sure you understand the difference. Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.