Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Which Camo

Old 12-15-2012, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

The deer don't care I just mix and match honestly and wear a browning rain gear csmo on top
Old 01-04-2013, 03:08 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by 7.62nato
asat. Best camo pattern on the market, bar none. Mossy oak, realtree, etc do nothing for you as far as deer are concerned. They do not break up your outline. I have had deer looking right thru me from 5 yards away on the ground. You have to remember that deer do not see the way we do.

But, check out these pics with your human eyes:

+1,000,000
Old 01-04-2013, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

I love Predator camo, but sure wish some better clothes manufacturers would pick it up. Fall brown will make you disappear, literally.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:48 AM
Typical Buck

I'm going to mention NaturalGear with a caveat.

Not only have I found it to be a great pattern for deer, but more than one time on stand I've had a bird of prey perch within feet of me totally unaware of my presence until I moved!

The caveat: their product line seems to have random availability & I feel the quality could be a bit higher, though for the price it is fair.

ASAT-my friend & I learned about this several years ago now & he rec'd a few garments at Christmas. We did a comparison test. I understand deer "see" differently but, we were both able to pick out the ASAT much easier than the NatGear pattern in various backgrounds(including different seasons)-and he is color blind!

I do think ASAT is good quality & have had their Elite line on my wish list for awhile. The thing is, I've harvested far more deer than my buddy has!

I once had my photo taken, at a distance, wearing Mossy Oak & Real Tree 3d-I may as well have been dressed in hot pink- just one big human shaped blob.

To be honest,the old style Forest Green always worked for me & I've talked with guys who swear by the newer digital camo versions as they are readily available and fairly inexpensive!
Old 01-06-2013, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 3seasons
ASAT-my friend & I learned about this several years ago now & he rec'd a few garments at Christmas. We did a comparison test. I understand deer "see" differently but, we were both able to pick out the ASAT much easier than the NatGear pattern in various backgrounds(including different seasons)-and he is color blind
Exactly though. Deer see differently. But more importantly, they think differently. You are not showing two hunting patterns for a deer and then asking them which one they can see more easily in cover. Remember, you are searching for the ASAT pattern with your eyes and finding it because you know what to look for. The deer are looking for movement and the shape of a human or other predator. Also you are comparing several different colors of camo in a setting that closely matches it's specific colors vs one camo in those same settings. That's the thing about ASAT; it does well even without cover. From a distance the Nat Gear is going to "blob up" much more than ASAT will; there simply isn't enough contrast.

I'm not saying that Nat Gear is bad stuff or that you haven't had good experience with it. Most of the time its about playing the wind, being quiet, and being still or unseen. But there is no doubt in my mind that camo can play a critical role in the right situation, and that can make or break the season!
Old 01-06-2013, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

By the way, the Elite gear is nice. I have a pair of the cold weather baselayers heavy bottoms and they keep my pretty warm with a pair of poly sweatpants, BDUs and my ASAT bibs. I like them, but if I could go back to when I first started purchasing ASAT, I would get all my baselayers, rimmed beanie (or regular), and midlayer layer uppers from the First Lite section. It all 100% merino wool and I hear it's great stuff. Then I would get the leafy 3/4 Face Mask, Elite Gloves, Elite Jacket and Elite Pants (unless I wanted the First Lite Knab pants), and possibly the Elite Zip Mock. You will need layering with the Elite stuff though; it is not insulated or all that heavy. The jacket makes a great outer layer as long as I put on the right combo underneath. Day One makes insulated pants (high back!) and jackets, but I can't speak to their quality or fit.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I purchased the ASAT Vanish Pro 3D Leafy Suit this year and am very impressed. It really does make you disappear.