Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer mount

Old 12-12-2012, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

Yep, the memories and the dream. I often go down to my man cave to reflect on those great moments. Each deer represents something special and going down there to reflect on them or think gives me peace....
Old 12-12-2012, 11:52 PM
RJF
Spike

how I look at it my taxy takes payments so its not costly up front spread it out 3 months mount is paid. If I shoot it then its going on the wall. Still trying to get my girl her first with a bow she isnt comfortable with her 44 mag yet so been using bow only this year. what ever she gets will go on the wall as well.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to see you all think alot like me. I see nothing wrong with mounting a first deer....spike doe or monster buck. If I would have had the money my first would be sitting on my wall next to my biggest.

I have not actually shot that many bucks...I have been fortunate to shoot a couple nice bucks because I let the smaller ones go. The buck I shot this year looks bigger than he scores...So I'm putting him up. Plus it was a great hunt and has some story behind it for me. and I can agree an 8 point will look bigger than a 10 with the same score (or better) My biggest is a 10 and this 8 from this year is a great deer but scores poorly...thats why I don't care much about score.

I also have kids...as far as that goes if they all kill deer in a year i'll go bankrupt....and my wife will probably kick me out....(she doesn't want any mounted) So Euro mounts may be an option....I considered it with this one...but figured why not...

Someone mentioned putting a doe up with there bucks.

I'm planning to put my buck from this year up across the room from my big buck...one day I'd like to have a doe next to the bigger buck....kind of a stare down before a fight scene.....

Also I tend to try to mount them the way i saw them in the field...within reason. I'm fortunate to have a good Taxi that gives me his suggestions and is patient with me...lol
Old 12-13-2012, 05:34 AM
Typical Buck

Ive only shot 2 bucks, a spike and a forkhorn. Not going to spend the money to have either shoulder mounted, but I did do euro mounts of them and they are hanging above my workbench.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

lets see a picture !

To me a mount is not just the size, its the hunt and the memory

I have several bucks mounted, my first buck, my first decent bow kill (124 7/8) , 142" bow kill, 129" bow kill, 147" gun kill and this year getting my firearm buck mounted. Not because he was huge, just 119" ( lost a 8" g3) but because of his crazy rack and beautiful double throat patch and also the memory of the hunt

However with all the bucks I have shot the one we have mounted that I am the proudest of is my sons first buck, a small forkhorn, but he dropped it at 99 yards and I got it mounted because it was his first buck and because we shared it.

He can have it for many many years and look back and remember all the hunts we took together and the great times

Thats my two cents....
Old 12-15-2012, 03:22 PM
Fork Horn

meant to add, I have shot 12 bucks in the 10 years i've hunted, some I do skull cap mounts and a couple I have euro mounted.

My son got a nice little 8 point on our youth hunt this year, he just wanted a euro mount so that is what I did, turned out good and a LOT less money, like free LOL
Old 12-15-2012, 05:21 PM
Spike

Some advice from a taxidermist of 30 yrs. I always recommend your first buck be mounted, now please keep in mind that this is advice as a hunter and taxidermist. I had my frist buck mounted when I was 10 yrs old and there will never be another first nor the memory. There are alot of reasons I hear from clients and my own personal criteras. I went on a hunt in Alberta 3 times, all 3 times I have killed bucks two of the three I mounted. #1 no brainer 170" 15 pt, # 2 155" 8pt and my third was 140 " 10 pt. The big 8 I thought was special but the 10 wasnt, I spent alot of money there and shot him the last day. But becasue I had seen some slammers that week I didnt think he was of mounting potenial. I have killed in Maine and because of the way I tracked them down in the snow they were trophies to me. I have killed some real nice bucks here in PA which if they are wide, heavy and I liked the hunt, I have mounted them. Some I have mounted for people who like the perfect symetrical rack, others like the width, thickness, amount of points or something narly. "The trophie is in the eyes of the beholder". Some have even mounted deer that they have found but because they feel the deer is nice and deserves representation , so they have them mounted. The bottom line isnt in a distintive criteria, but it is how you feel about the particular animal or even just the chase.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:20 AM
Spike

It is all personal preference. Just like anything else. You will mount it or not mount it for your own reasons. I personally like getting tattoos. I get tattoos where I can see them and for me, not for anyone else. Its a matter of opinion for things like this. My only buck I ever mounted was my first. A six pointer. I actually called him in to 50 yards and took him on my birthday with a muzzleloader. Since then I only do Ero[pean mounts because I get to preserve my deer, it doesn't cost me more than $15 each time I do it (cheaper if you don't make a plaque) and I feel like I have accomplished the hunt form beginning to end. Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:19 AM
Fork Horn

I shoulder mounted my first 8 pointer. Spent 8 years hunting to get an 8.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

I wish I had mounted my first deer, a four point. But I was only eleven. I also wish I had done something with a doe from 2 seasons ago. It came out on a drive. My grandpa and I both shot at the same time and had bullet holes about 2 inches apart on her. I didn't think much about it at the time, but I wish I had at least had a rug made from the skin or something.
-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.