Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Are you a stubborn hunter?

Old 09-17-2003, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Are you a stubborn hunter?

I know without a doubt I have some faults when it comes to deer hunting. I have been hunting for many years and I always try not to commit the same stupid mistake twice. That being said, I think the one true fault I (might) have...I hate to admit it...is that I tend to overhunt an area. I become very stubborn when it comes to relocating. I have shot deer because I have decided to stay put but honestly, there were time when I knew it was time to move and I decided against it. If I was successful in the past from the same treestand, I have tendency to hunt it longer than I probably should. I am a very, very patient hunter and this could actually work against me when it comes to moving to a different area. Anyone else have these same tendencies or are you the type that moves without any guilt?
Old 09-17-2003, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Are you a stubborn hunter?

Moving is easy, if you have other spots that you have confidence in. For me, I have several spots that I know can and will yield deer, so, if I' m not seeing action at one, it is very easy to relocate. Just scout out a few different areas and hopefully you will find at least a couple that you will find that will give you confidense enough to move if needed.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am having a very tough time breaking my habit of always returning to the same spot. I was taught that if you sit there long enough, a deer will come by. And for the most part that is very true for my best spot. I know that even if it goes cold for a few days, if I keep going back I will shoot something. I have been doing a better job at bouncing to different spots.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' m not stubborn but I have trouble staying put. Either I get bored or cold or I lose confidence in a spot. I always think that maybe I' d be better off over the next hill. In 2000, that helped me. I left my stand and ended up sneaking through an area where two big 8-points were chasing does. In 2002, I stayed in my stand and got a nice buck. In 2001 I didn' t stay put and got skunked. You definitely should make a good plan and stick with it if you can. Unless of course the wind is wrong.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 09-17-2003, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I usualy hunt one spot all morning or afternoon but will move to another area next time out. I hardly switch area' s during the hunt.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:15 PM

When hunting I fully intend to take a deer or two. I have multiple sites/stands on our land.

Some by a watering source, bedding, food, trails, rubs and scrapes. I tend to mix it up during the season.

But, I have been know to stick it out when challenged. This meaning I know there is a good deer or two that work the area and I need to sit it out, even if its all day long.

Nothing wrong with one site, just be sure its in the rite place! And nothing wrong with moving your set up, just be sure it time to move. kind of a cathch 22.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jimmy S, I am with you on this one too. I am stubborn too. Just this year our bow season started and its a new area to me but just looks so good. Well after spending a few days on stand and not really seeing much I continued to search this area do to it just looking like deer should be all over the place.

My wife even told me to look some where else and i said no. I am going to make this place pay off for me. Well I still am. How is that for being stubborn?

Brian
Old 09-17-2003, 08:06 PM

The problem I normally have is staying on stand for 4 to 5 hours and telling myself that I' m gonna slip out in 10 more minutes. Then I will have been on stand for 6 hours. I can have the patience of a saint and the persistance of the devil. Another problem that I have all to often is those times when I just have to check my eyelids for holes. I did that this past Saturday and when I opened my eyes, there was a 6 pointer 20-25 yards infront of me. Makes me wonder what I may have missed in those few minutes.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have several spots, so it is just a matter of picking the right one.
Trying new places can be hard for me, because I am reluctant to leave a tried and true stand unhunted!
Old 09-17-2003, 09:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

within 3-4 hours me and my dad are bored and sore(we ground hunt) and cold if theres snow or frozen ground...the snow inulates you with coldness and the cold ground goes right into you..its terrible sometimes...this year im going to try to change my ways a bit being i will be alone....it depends on what im seeing from that stand that day and also what happend from there in the past....

Quick Reply: Are you a stubborn hunter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.