Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Ever wade a creek and hunt the banks?  Advice? >

Ever wade a creek and hunt the banks? Advice?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ever wade a creek and hunt the banks? Advice?

Old 12-07-2012, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ever wade a creek and hunt the banks? Advice?

I know for a fact that the deer bed on the creek bank in an area I hunt. The thickets are on the land side and somewhat on the creek side, but I saw plenty of bedding pockets that openly face the creek. I have hunted in great spots as far as deer sign is concerned and the hunting spots proximity to food and bedding and am seeing no deer (LOTS of sign). They have gone completely nocturnal. So I am planning to slowly creep up the creek and see if I can shoot one in its bed. Two, if I'm lucky. Got my chest waders packed just in case, but I think the creek is only knee deep or so in most places.

Tips? Stories?
Old 12-07-2012, 08:46 PM
Spike

I have heard of people using the creek as a way to get to a certain point on the land where they hunt but never hunting straight out of the creek but if it works and thats where the deer are, sometimes in a spot like that with lots of sign you have to invent ways to get the deer to you and in you kill range if it works you will for sure have a story to tell. GOOD LUCK hope to see a pic on you next post of how this plays out for you
Old 12-08-2012, 03:24 AM
Typical Buck

The areas I hunt the deer will walk right down the creek. They can't be seen unless your right on top of them plus they are out of the wind. I would try and get a stand close to the creek.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default Me

Never waded one. Floated a creek/river in a canoe. Caught one shooter not paying attention towards the water. Saw a bear, eagle, Golden Eye duck among other things.

Nice hunt if you get the chance.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:21 PM
Typical Buck

i ground hunt on the bank of a shallow river on the property i hunt...im about 25 yards from where they cross.. one side is real nasty thick honey suckle brush and the other is bigger timber with some grassy areas. i actually just found this spot out and its looks great. ive hunted a couple times already, so far just doe's, but they use this crossing daily.. my advice is just scout around if u can and find any major crosssings. maybe setup a trail cam up..pull a sneak attack on em!! good luck
Old 12-08-2012, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default Creek

Check the creek bottom itself. You should be able to see tracks or imprints on the bottom in the water.

Hunted Indian River in Adirondack for bear this way.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Fork Horn

I also hunt the creek, I setup about 30-yards off the creek. I always wear my waders when I go out hunting, especially in cold weather. When the creek is to the top of the bank, it's about waist high. Just a pain in the butt trying to carry my tree stand to the other side. But look for the heavily traveled paths were they cross the stream and when the creek is low look for tracks inside the bank.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

A few years ago, I read an article featuring a hunter who'd been in special forces and who'd applied his skills to stalking deer. One of his favorite techniques was to sneak up a creek looking for deer. He claimed the deer didn't seem to regard creeks as a place of potential danger and if there were riffles, it covered his sound.

I'd try to do it just the way you'd stillhunt a patch of woods. Try to stick close to cover, go slow, etc.