Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
My first deer(2) 1 shot 2 kill >

My first deer(2) 1 shot 2 kill

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My first deer(2) 1 shot 2 kill

Old 12-08-2012, 06:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

That would be for a 3/4 oz load .33 diameter.

so having a few outside of the original target deer doesn't sound so unheard of.
He stated at 25 yards his pattern was from shoulder to rump on a deer and a few also hit the other doe. I just think that is a pretty wide pattern even for 15 pellets, think I would try a tighter choke in my gun.JMO

Last edited by Charlie P; 12-08-2012 at 06:58 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Charlie P
Right on target with this.

If this was my kid I would have been happy it got his first deer but then we would have had a little conversation about shot selection. Because if the buck shot hadn't luckily hit that second deer in the spine a long track job would have started and most likely ended with a wounded lost deer.

One question redkid, Would you take that same shot again?
This is the best post I've seen on this topic. I agree with everything here. If he learned that his shot wasn't ideal and will make changes next time around than it was a good learning experience. We all learn from out mistakes and if this new hunter did then all is forgiven. For me, there is no situation that it is ethical to take two deer with one shot. Most likely one of those deer will not be hit in the ideal spot and will suffer more than it should.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Exactly Fastetti, I'll ask another question to everyone reading this. If this was your son or a new hunter you were mentoring, what would be the first thing you would say to them after you congratulated them on their first deer?
Old 12-08-2012, 07:38 AM
Spike

Right on target with this.

If this was my kid I would have been happy it got his first deer but then we would have had a little conversation about shot selection. Because if the buck shot hadn't luckily hit that second deer in the spine a long track job would have started and most likely ended with a wounded lost deer.

Redkid, What choke you using that's pretty big spread of pellets especially if it was 00 buck.There are 9 pellets in a load.

One question redkid, Would you take that same shot again?
I admit I rushed the shot . I rushed because last time that deer walked to the corn pile I watched them and they never gave me a decent shot. So I didn't shoot at one. The reason I shot is because the deer were perfectly broadside. The pattern was really wide because I hit the other doe that was at least a good 5 foot behinds the other one. I didn't think I would hit both of them and I wasn't trying to. There are 20 pellets in a load.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Lesson learned! Think safety and when to shoot/not shoot at all times and you'll be fine! Killing is the end result when we hunt, but it's what leads up to it that matters most. Happy holidays to all!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Spike

After reading the first few posts it reminded me of why I haven't been back here since Feb. with all the bashing and so called professional advice. This guy has plenty to be happy about by killing two deer with one shot. Who is to say that buckshot is not lethal and effective. I don't use it, but I sure don't condemn anyone who does. I have killed several in the past with it as it was the only legal method available to me. Let's all deer hunt together as a group and stand behind one another.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default Your post

Originally Posted by Chester Co. Deer Hunter
After reading the first few posts it reminded me of why I haven't been back here since Feb. with all the bashing and so called professional advice. This guy has plenty to be happy about by killing two deer with one shot. Who is to say that buckshot is not lethal and effective. I don't use it, but I sure don't condemn anyone who does. I have killed several in the past with it as it was the only legal method available to me. Let's all deer hunt together as a group and stand behind one another.
Amen to that! There are enough anti's out here to piss down their backs without doing that to each other.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

That would be for a 3/4 oz load .33 diameter.

He stated at 25 yards his pattern was from shoulder to rump on a deer and a few also hit the other doe. I just think that is a pretty wide pattern even for 15 pellets, think I would try a tighter choke in my gun.JMO

A tighter choke often deforms buckshot and makes the pattern wider....
Old 12-11-2012, 03:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Exactly Fastetti, I'll ask another question to everyone reading this. If this was your son or a new hunter you were mentoring, what would be the first thing you would say to them after you congratulated them on their first deer?

"Roll up your sleeves, we've got some deer to skin...Now watch closely as I show you how to gut a deer, you're going to do the next one"....

No way in Hades would I bust a youngsters bubble after a successful hunt...Maybe a few days later, I'd pull out my gun to "check it"...In doing so, we would do the same with his...It would be more of a conversation about tightening up his group than "You shouldn't have taken that shot"...
Old 12-13-2012, 05:31 PM
Spike

I like your post there nchawkeye. That is the way to do it.