Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
My first deer(2) 1 shot 2 kill >

My first deer(2) 1 shot 2 kill

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My first deer(2) 1 shot 2 kill

Old 12-07-2012, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default TG

Back off the guy.

Guy covered his arse with having the right tag on the right day I guess, didn't he?.

So he lucked out and didn't shoot three. You never lucked out before?
I wouldn't believe you if you said you never 'had any luck' when seeing or shooting deer.

Yeah, this is the way to teach someone how to hunt more effectively. Bust his balls until he never comes back.

Don't be an idiot. He's new, get it? He'll learn. Most of us have learned the hard way whether we admit it or not.

SMH.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

How's a guy going to learn anything the right way when people come on a thread and congratulate him for doing what he shouldn't? What would he have done if he hadn't had two doe tags? What does luck have to do with knowing when and when not to shoot and knowing your weapon? I'm not busting anyone's balls, but rather trying to tell him that he needs to think before he takes another shot. Sorry, but I won't sugar coat anything when it comes to hunting and firearms!
Old 12-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Spike

Default Listen

Listen dude I don't really care what you think or say. What matters to me is that I killed my first deer, not, what you say. P.S. : on a doe day I don't need tags . I hope you have a good night and happy Hunting to you. G - gage Johnson
Old 12-07-2012, 06:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Listen back Dude because after 60 years in the field I may know just a little more than you do and am just trying to pass a little bit of it along!!! I dont give a damn if you didn't need any tags for them. From your description of the incident you were wrong if one shot hit two animals, so please learn from it!!! That's all I'm trying to get across to you and any other newbies that think it was okay! Happy holidays and be safe out there!
Old 12-07-2012, 10:39 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

The one thing in forums that bothers me consistently is people being down on something because it isn't what they do....or isn't legal in their area. In Virginia buckshot is legal. In many counties here shotgun is the ONLY legal way to kill a deer. In a lot of those counties I think it is a stupid law but it is the law so I go with it. with My shotgun I have no problem taking a shot out to 40 yds . I have 15 pellets of 00 and will have absolutely no problem taking a deer at 40 or less.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:46 AM
Spike

Topgun 3006 -If you have 60 REAL years of experience in the field chances are you too old to work a computer so stop trying to fool people. The kid said he doesn't care what you say so stop talking.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:07 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Listen back Dude because after 60 years in the field I may know just a little more than you do and am just trying to pass a little bit of it along!!! I dont give a damn if you didn't need any tags for them. From your description of the incident you were wrong if one shot hit two animals, so please learn from it!!! That's all I'm trying to get across to you and any other newbies that think it was okay! Happy holidays and be safe out there!
If in your "60 years in the field" experience you never screwed something up or did anything sketchy or visited a "gray area" in terms of legality then your a flat out liar. Sorry but that's just pure BS. Every single one of us has done something big or small that we prolly thought about after and said "damn...maybe shouldn't of done that or did it different". Your gonna sit there and tell me that your never fired a shot too early or too late in the day and that you counted down to the exact second of when you could legally pull the trigger? Everyone screws up at some point just like if ya shot a button buck but thought it was a doe. I'm sure alot of guys will give you a ton of crap about it but it happens all the time. My old man is 60 and has been hunting since he was 5 and even he screwed up in Canada about 10 yrs ago and shot a bull caribou and the bullet passed through and hit a cow he didn't see stand behind it. Killed both of them. Wasn't intentional and he owned up to it to the outfitter who was cool about it and used one of his own cow tags on it to avoid a unnessasary call and harassment from game wardens. That story alone visits a screw up to being sure of the back ground behind your intended target and also visits a gray area of legality with tagging. Lesson learned. Give the guy a break!
Old 12-08-2012, 04:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

You guys are sure injecting a lot of extra words into what I have said and creating more than necessary after I explained to the OP why I said what I did! Yes, I'm 65 and started hunting when I was 5 years old and took one of the first NRA safety courses ever offered. I took another course with my stepson many years after that and the rules hadn't changed in all those years and still haven't. I have not said I have never screwed up, but I have also never bent the rules for when I pulled the trigger like one of you suggested. I have also never said I don't condone the use of buckshot. I used it some, as well as slugs, years ago here in southern MI before muzzleloaders became popular and were legalized down here where centerfire rifles aren't allowed for deer hunting. All I have stated in my posts is to be sure of your target, surroundings and background, as well as patterning your gun and knowing what it will do with a particular load. All of those things are fundamentals that ANYONE should have learned BEFORE they go into the field. Sorry that I take this so seriously and have continued posting on it. I feel even sorrier that the kid says all he is interested in is killing the deer because that's not what the outdoor experience is all about! I'm also sorry for anyone else who has come on this thread and told him he did a good job just because he killed his first deer. I thought I ended this thread with that last post trying to briefly explain to him why I posted and wishing him happy holidays. Now I get up this AM and you guys have come on here and are the ones busting balls over nothing that I even said or insinuated!!! Let the thread die, because if the OP and those that have read this thread did not understand the message by now then it's probably useless!
Old 12-08-2012, 05:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Right on target with this.
All I have stated in my posts is to be sure of your target, surroundings and background, as well as patterning your gun and knowing what it will do with a particular load. All of those things are fundamentals that ANYONE should have learned BEFORE they go into the field.
If this was my kid I would have been happy it got his first deer but then we would have had a little conversation about shot selection. Because if the buck shot hadn't luckily hit that second deer in the spine a long track job would have started and most likely ended with a wounded lost deer.

Redkid, What choke you using that's pretty big spread of pellets especially if it was 00 buck.There are 9 pellets in a load.

One question redkid, Would you take that same shot again?

Last edited by Charlie P; 12-08-2012 at 06:01 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Charlie P
Right on target with this.

If this was my kid I would have been happy it got his first deer but then we would have had a little conversation about shot selection. Because if the buck shot hadn't luckily hit that second deer in the spine a long track job would have started and most likely ended with a wounded lost deer.

Redkid, What choke you using that's pretty big spread of pellets especially if it was 00 buck.There are 9 pellets in a load.
I agree with everything except the 9 pellets in a load. My Federal 3.5" mag OO buckshot has 18 pellets, so having a few outside of the original target deer doesn't sound so unheard of. Legal or otherwise, taking ONE deer at a time is the PROPER way to hunt deer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.