Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
My first deer(2) 1 shot 2 kill >

My first deer(2) 1 shot 2 kill

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My first deer(2) 1 shot 2 kill

Old 12-07-2012, 04:49 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by cowboy4513
Dont use buckshot kid. Buckshot is for people who kill deer not hunt them.
Not so. Best hunter I know likes his Rem 1100 stoked with 000 when hunting early season. Experience, knowing limits... buck shot is absolutely lethal used within limits

that said, I'm not a great fan... I'd prefer ML...
Old 12-07-2012, 07:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't bust his chops too bad fellows, he is young!!! Think about your first kill, probably didn't have the internet or for some of us even cell phones...

As far as buckshot and deer, it is very effective if a fellow knows what he is doing...It's been a Southern tradition since before the Revolutionary War...If you don't like it, fine, deer have been lost and wounded by plenty of other weapons as well, by hunters that didn't know their limitations...
Old 12-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

As far as buckshot and deer, it is very effective "if a fellow knows what he is doing..."

And therein lies his problem if he killed two deer with one shot! It's for use at very close range and should only be used in a gun that will shoot a very tight pattern with it, which many won't.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:49 AM
Spike

Anyone who says buckshot should be illegal is as stupid as their comment. Buckshot is cheap and does just as much damage. Stand 30yds from me with some 00 buck shot we'll see how far you can run. I use 00 while running dogs and still hunting in thicker brush.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

I have to agree with buckshot being lethal. Every deer I have shot with buckshot has been a one shot kill. Not to mention they laid right where they were shot. But I also agree that it has it's limitations and anyone planning to use it should pattern their gun first and know it's effective range.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

congrtats on the deer. don't worry about what most of these cats have to say. instead of welcoming a young hunter into the fold. they want to inform you that you killed the deer wrong. if it legal then hammer on. i hope you kill 2 everytime you pull the trigger................tony
Old 12-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

congrtats on the deer. don't worry about what most of these cats have to say. instead of welcoming a young hunter into the fold. they want to inform you that you killed the deer wrong. if it legal then hammer on. i hope you kill 2 everytime you pull the trigger................tony

Yea, listen to Tony and go ahead and bang away with that buckshot at whatever distance you feel like. Who gives a **** if you wound two or three for every one you kill or maybe you can go for three with one shot next hunt. What a dufus remark!!! Please listen to the final remark in the post by Woodsman88 and know your gun and its limitations whether it's with buckshot or anything else!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-07-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:31 PM
Spike

Default To everyone

The shot I made , I was not tring to shoot both of them. I aimed at the bigger one and peppered it from shoulder to rump. A few stray pellets hit the other in the spine. I was 25 yards away. And yes i was legal because it was a doe day. DOE DAY : limit two anterless deer. I got my first deer and the limit. Trust me everyone everything I did was legal.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:42 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006

Yea, listen to Tony and go ahead and bang away with that buckshot at whatever distance you feel like. Who gives a **** if you wound two or three for every one you kill or maybe you can go for three with one shot next hunt. What a dufus remark!!! Please listen to the final remark in the post by Woodsman88 and know your gun and its limitations whether it's with buckshot or anything else!
I know the limit of buckshot . And my gun. Is 25 yards close enough to hit anything? I won't and don't take shots that I'm not sure of. And if you retread Tony's comment he said " I hope you kill 2 every time you pull the trigger" that just sounds like he said he wished me luck..... Not told me to go on a shooting spree.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't believe what you did was illegal if you had the tags to cover your butt. However, I will stay with what I just stated. You have come back with two posts that basically reinforce what I stated. You obviously don't know when to shoot and not to shoot even at 25 yards if you killed a second animal by mistake with one shot!!! If that gun you used put buckshot from shoulder to rump and still had pellets outside that zone to kill another animal you should not have taken the shot. That would be the case if the second doe was next to OR behind the one you drew down on. Please don't come back and say you didn't see the other deer and make it even worse!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-07-2012 at 04:12 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.