HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Squirrel's Nuts? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/376138-squirrels-nuts.html)

salukipv1 12-04-2012 12:54 PM

Squirrel's Nuts?

Just how many nuts/acorns do you think squirrels on your property eat? ie... how many do they take away from deer?

Could less squirrels mean more deer?

Uncle Nicky 12-04-2012 01:57 PM

Who knows, I shoot them every chance I get, so my data is bound to be flawed. They make great gumbo, Brunswick stew, or chicken salad. I would guess it makes no difference, they've been living together in the woods long before the white man stepped foot on these shores, both are survivors.

salukipv1 12-04-2012 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Nicky (Post 4012582)
Who knows, I shoot them every chance I get, so my data is bound to be flawed. They make great gumbo, Brunswick stew, or chicken salad. I would guess it makes no difference, they've been living together in the woods long before the white man stepped foot on these shores, both are survivors.

White deer hunting? bow? gun?

What do you use? .22 rifle? pistol? pellet gun?

MD DEERHUNTER 12-04-2012 02:19 PM

With all the acorns on the ground, trust me there is plenty of acorns for all the creatures in the woods. My worry isn't about the squirrels taking away the acorns from the deer. My worry is busting my ass trying to get to my stand!

DeppedyDogg 12-04-2012 03:04 PM

lmao

Funny question.
My impression is the squirrels help the deer by hiding acorns. The deer, having better olfactory equipment and probably better instincts, find these acorns and 'steal them' from these aboreal creatures.

So in response, I think the squirrels lose acorns to deer rather than the other way around.

Uncle Nicky 12-05-2012 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by salukipv1 (Post 4012586)
White deer hunting? bow? gun?

What do you use? .22 rifle? pistol? pellet gun?

If I'm not in the mood to archery hunt early in the season, I'll take a stroll with my 12 gauge and just squirrel hunt. If there are acorns falling, it can be an action-filled afternoon.

Later in the season, I'll bring slugs & some #4s with me (smoothbore shotgun), if the deer hunting is slow, I'll change loads & blast a couple squirrels. I've shot squirrels before with a scoped .22, but most of the time I hunt in a suburban setting, I don't feel too good about sending a .22 hollowpoint through the treetops.

I never shot an arrow at a squirrel yet, I'm sure it would be fun, but arrows & broadheads are just too @#$%^&* expensive.:bash:

AquamanPSD 12-05-2012 04:58 AM

I think it depends... If I am in the deer stand then every squirel in the woods is fighting over acorns right below my stand... If I'm at the house they are sitting outside the window bugging my cat... worthless little rodents!