Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
eating deer that had a bad old wound?? >

eating deer that had a bad old wound??

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

eating deer that had a bad old wound??

Old 12-03-2012, 12:48 PM
Spike

Default eating deer that had a bad old wound??

what do you guys think about eating deer that had a bad existing wound? my buddy shot a deer this year that must have been shot earlier in the season. he said it smelled really bad. he said they didnt keep it because the infection could have spread through the rest of the deer.
i wasnt sure, couldnt you just cut out the bad leg?

also, i shot a buck this year that was healthy and such but had a would near its anus. it was like offset more and the tailbone was like exposed. bow shot? antler? no blood, size of a baseball, flesh colored with brown/black around the what i though was the tailbone. it was gross in that it wasnt closing up and looked wet. i got it home and just cut around it to take meat off.
would you have done the same?

thanks
Old 12-03-2012, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default Me

I would have sliced a few pieces from his rib-eye area and tossed it into a searing cast iron skilled with butter.

If it tasted ok; into the freezer, bucky-boy

If not, buh-bye, now and I WOULD have gotten another Buck Tag from NYSDEC. They do that over here for diseased harvested deer..

My $.02
Old 12-03-2012, 01:20 PM
Spike

yea i hear what you mean, but would like an infection in the deer harm you and be something you couldnt taste? i think thats what he thought
Old 12-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default Idk

Originally Posted by SalRanger2
yea i hear what you mean, but would like an infection in the deer harm you and be something you couldnt taste? i think thats what he thought
I don't really know not being a doctor or scientist.
I think if it passes the nose then taste buds and is very well done, nothing that could harm you would live and you'd be able to taste any tainted meat.

That's been my experience but now I will have to ask my Doctor.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:39 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

When in doubt, throw it out. What if it's not a wound but a ruptured pustule from infection? It isn't the end of days so I don't have to eat rotting carcasses.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:57 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by DeppedyDogg
I don't really know not being a doctor or scientist.
I think if it passes the nose then taste buds and is very well done, nothing that could harm you would live and you'd be able to taste any tainted meat.

That's been my experience but now I will have to ask my Doctor.
lol well ik what you would've done in this situation. but if id ask others id know theyd be 50/50 on it. just curious if ppl thought the same way.

Originally Posted by dpv
When in doubt, throw it out. What if it's not a wound but a ruptured pustule from infection? It isn't the end of days so I don't have to eat rotting carcasses.
yea true, not worth getting sick over. but he said this wound was definitely a gunshot or bow hit and made it walk funny. dont know if that makes a difference.

any ideas on the butt of the buck? im not sure what it wouldve been
Old 12-04-2012, 02:43 AM
Spike

Same thing here SalRanger2. My buddy shot a deer that had a cyst the size of a volleyball. I think it was struck by an arrow that broke off. He insisted on cutting the lump open and both of us threw up it smelled so bad. I wouldn't have fed that deer to pigs. Interesting though what DepppedyDog said about ssuing another tag. Three times now I have taken a deer just to put it down because of whatever reason. One I had walking to me it's leg was shot in half. Another had a mass on it's face that covered it's eye and jaw and another I could see two wounds, one behind the shoulder and one just in fornt of its rear quarter. I never thought to look into getting another tag for the sake of putting an animal out of it's misery that most likely would not have made ti through the winter. Good info!!
Old 12-04-2012, 04:18 AM
Typical Buck

I would not have ate it. No way I'm taking that chance
Old 12-04-2012, 04:34 AM
Fork Horn

I came across a deer a couple years ago on my way to my stand. The stand was about 150 yds off the road and saw him bedded about 80 yds from the road. He couldn't get up and looked like he had been there a few days. I finished him off. One back leg was severly broken and wasn't sure about the other. I dressed him and took him to my processor. Told them to process everything but the hind quarters. Meat was fine.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I killed a buck last year that had a scar from an old, healed wound. I just cut that part away. That deer was fine, but I don't think I would chance eating a deer with a large open wound that smelled. It's not worth the risk of getting sick. And if I had to guess, there's a good chance the infection could have spread through the deer if it was that bad. just my .02...........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.