Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

APPLE JUICE & VANILLA

Old 09-17-2003, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: APPLE JUICE...

Thanks Jersyhunter, That' s what I was thinking myself just wanted a confirmation.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:54 PM

I have never tried it but I don' t see why it would not work. I may try it this year.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:11 PM

I think I will stop by the store on the way out to camp Friday night and pick-up a jug. See how it goes. Someone else suggested to me using vinella extract. May be another thought there as well.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:59 AM

I' ve never tried it but it seems like it' d work.

I' d like to know more about the vanilla extract. A friend of mine was talking about it not to long ago.
Old 09-18-2003, 12:06 PM

everything that I have heard about thr vanilla extract is it has the same smell that white oak acorns have. Thus the deer will come to it because they think that it is acorns.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:23 PM

Default RE: APPLE JUICE & VANILLA

Thank you all very much for your input!

I will indeed use (home made) pressed apple juice this season. AND I will let it ferment for a few days befor using it.

VANILLA:

A few members have comented on Vanilla, I can say thay YES this does have a effect. Deer will come in and check it out. I havent had all deer do this but it does grab the attention of some deer.

I would suggest trying it if you are located around some acorn trees.

Thanks again and please offer any other suggestion you may have!

Jred
Old 09-20-2003, 05:51 PM

interesting, i dont think it could hurt!
Old 09-21-2003, 07:04 PM

Over the years I' ve tried a lot of different cover scents and attractants, and the one I use the most now-a-days is vanilla extract and anise oil. Mix ' em together and soak a few cotton balls with the mixture and hang them off of your stand. It seems to be more of a calming agent to the deer rather than a food attractant. Works great!
Old 09-22-2003, 04:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Jred ,
don' t let that juice ferment too long , you just want to enhance the scent , not make hard cider . I ferment mine overnight in pint mason jars , then add one or more of the additives I mentioned . A pinch of ordinary yeast is plenty , store the remaining yeast in the fridge . I make a fresh jar each evening before going to bed , and filter it into the sprayer with coffee filters in the morning . In most states it isn' t considered baiting if the animal cannot get to it to eat it . You can buy all kinds of bottled food scent attractants at the store , so homemade is legal too .