HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Michigan misdemeanor question... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/376053-michigan-misdemeanor-question.html)

a_kraker99 12-02-2012 07:35 PM

Michigan misdemeanor question...

I am going to risk getting flamed on here for this one here but here it goes... I feel I must tell the story behind what happened first. If you would rather skip that part then check the last paragraph for my question.

I shot a buck today with my bow and while tracking the deer a gun shot went off near by. Apparently a local landowner called the DNR thinking I shot the gun and before I knew it I was being patted down and interrogated to the max.

Everything checked out except for the fact that I still had a doe tag in my pocket that I forgot about. It should have been used on a doe I shot during early doe season. At the time when I got the doe I waited till the next morning to track and forgot the license in my pants pocket. blah blah, bad excuse I know... I had no intentions of doubling up on the tag. Just a mistake.

Anyway, I got a court date for a misdemeanor for failure to immediately tag a deer. What kind of fine should I expect from something like that?

Topgun 3006 12-02-2012 07:58 PM

Question---How did the Officer know that you had killed a doe and not tagged it in the early season unless you openly told him? Just possessing the doe tag would not be a violation unless you told the Game Warden that you had taken a deer and not tagged it with that tag you had in your pocket. It sounds like you made statements to him that have resulted in that ticket when if you had not said anything there would be no reason to issue a ticket because you weren't violating the law for shooting the buck if you had a valid tag with you to put on it at the kill site. Tell the judge what happened and ask for leniency if you have a good record.

a_kraker99 12-02-2012 08:18 PM

Yes, you are right,i opened my big mouth. He had asked if i had got a deer this year before asking for the licenses. I forgot that license was still in my pocket at the time. I am sure lieing would have gotten me out of it but it could have gotten me in more trouble too i suppose. I thought maybe the DNR officer would have a little leniency. Wrong

elmoughler 12-03-2012 04:16 AM

Not sure what the fine would be in MI. I know here in IN they can take away your firearms and vehicle that was used during the harvest.

ADVWannabee 12-03-2012 05:06 AM

Go to YouTube and search for a video about not talking to the Police. It is by a law professor in Va Beach area. Very informative.

WestVirginiaBrent 12-03-2012 05:28 AM

The state wants your money, so never expect leniency. You're going to get hit with ~$500 and court costs, IMO.

AquamanPSD 12-03-2012 07:14 AM

not trying to make anyone mad but the whole thing kind of sounds sketchy to me. that is probably the feeling that the DNR officer took as well, as will the judge. If you had a bow why would the officer even bother you instead of looking for the person that really did shoot? why would someone call the DNR if they heard a gun shot during deer season?

a_kraker99 12-03-2012 07:26 AM

Its not gun season right now in Michigan... Not sure why they didn't go out to look for the person who actually shot the gun. The more I think about the whole situation the more I am annoyed.
The officer said that the minimum is 50 and I won't get any privileges or weapons taken away since it was minor.

MZS 12-03-2012 07:28 AM

So you did not tag the doe you shot at all that you shot a few days in advance?
If so, you can not blame them.

Sorry this happened as you seem like a good honest and law abiding hunter. Hope you can come out of this OK.

a_kraker99 12-03-2012 08:02 AM

I got the doe Sunday of early doe season over a month ago. Completely forgot about the fact that I didn't tag it when I handed him my permits. I am not blaming them. Just think its pretty crappy of them to not give an ounce of leniency to an obvious mistake. I pay them enough for licenses every year.
If I were actually intending to double up on that tag don't they think I would have been a little smarter and lied about it?