Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Michigan misdemeanor question... >

Michigan misdemeanor question...

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Michigan misdemeanor question...

Old 12-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's what happens when you have a bunch of Barney Fife wardens that don't use any common sense. If the doe tag was only good for the early season, even though you made the mistake and didn't tag the one you shot, that tag was no longer valid during the month of December when you were out with your bow and couldn't be used. The Warden could have just issued a verbal warning and written the contact in his daily summary he turns in as to who and how many people he contacted on his rounds that day. It's like the a**hole warden that just retired a couple years ago down here in Allegan County who issued a ticket to a friend of a friend for having his unloaded shotgun leaning against their vehicle before he cased it to head home. The guy could have just told him that in MI it's against the law to even have an unloaded, uncased gun on or against a vehicle. Instead of talking to the guy and his buddies and explaining that law that even included an unloaded gun, which I didnt even know was on the books, he wrote the guy a ticket and now everyone the guy sees is told about how nasty the DNR Wardens all are. This contact with you could have been handled the same way and it's too bad that you learned the hard way that the more you say when you don't have to say anything can get you in a heap of trouble when you meet the wrong person who doesn't use common sense. I doubt the fine will approach $500, but make sure and politely explain to the Judge exactly what happened, that you weren't double dipping, and hope that he IS one with some common sense.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-03-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Spike

I don't think it was a special early season doe tag.
The other two valid tags I had would have allowed me to shoot a buck and a doe anyway.
Not much I can do about it now I guess. Like you said, hopefully the judge will understand.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:44 AM
Spike

I don't think it was a special early season doe tag.
The other two valid tags I had would have allowed me to shoot a buck and a doe anyway.
Not much I can do about it now I guess. Like you said, hopefully the judge will understand.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Typical Buck

put yourself in the shoes of the game warden for a minute,
how many excuses do they hear from poachers?
not calling you a poacher,
just stating how many poachers have used the excuse i forgot?
warden must hear that day in and day out,
he's not having it, gonna write you up and let a judge decide
you made a mistake and forgot,
you also had a month to correct your mistake
cant put the fault for writing you up on the officer for this one
officer is probably also thinking to himself, he told me about 1, wonder how many he didnt tell me about,
Old 12-03-2012, 12:10 PM
Spike

The part of the story I didn't mention is that my brothers were there tracking the deer with me. They inspected and interrogated them just as much as me. Just trying to make some money for the lost time of a false alarm gun poaching case I guess.
I think they were pretty sure they were going to nail us on some big charges. The guy looked at the hair from the deer where I had shot it to make sure it looked like it was cut by an arrow...
Old 12-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default Warden

Had a chance to write someone up.
Someone in your position in THAT scenario must absolutely convince said Officer that yours was a true mistake. Something in your delivery caused him to think, " Nope".

Next time, tag your doe.
Next time, be more convincing.
Next time, well - there won't be a next time probably. At least, in the field.

The Judge will be your next time here guy. Be forthright and look him in the eye. Know what you're going to say without rehearsing it. If it sounds rehearsed, it sounds like a lie.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:59 AM
Spike

Just an update, I had my hearing today and I got raped. Is there any way to appeal the charges? I honestly think the judge had no clue what I was there for. People driving on suspended licenses got less charges than me.
$210 and no hunting for the remainder of the season. wow....
Old 12-18-2012, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's the whole problem when Judges don't have any idea about game offenses because there aren't that many brought before them. The amount of the fine seems high, but it isn't real bad compared to what it could have been. By the time you appeal that verdict the hunting season will be long gone and it would probably take an expensive lawyer to help you do it. I would take a deep breath, put your equipment away for the year, and look towards next year and learn from your mistake, as I don't think you can do much now. He could have possibly even given you a longer no hunting sentence and that would extend to about 40 states that are in the Wildlife Violator Compact with MI. I think you need to look at it that it was your screwup, whether intentional or not, so grin and bear it until it's time to turkey hunt in April, as that will be here before you know it! The law says that tag is to be cut out and put on the bird Immediately afer kill and it usually is done on a leg between the spur and foot in case you aren't aware of that. Take care and try to have a Happy Holiday season!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-18-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:48 AM
Spike

Thanks, I am still in the process of cooling down a bit. Its harder when I went in there expecting to pay somewhere between 50 and 100.
I would have felt much better getting the fine from a DNR officer that actually understands what I was charged with.
You are right though, it was my mistake. Unfortunately, on top of learning that I need to be stricter about my tagging practices, I also learned that I am better off lying to a DNR officer. I figured being honest and explaining myself would have gotten me a little leniency for a first offense but I was wrong.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

"I also learned that I am better off lying to a DNR officer. I figured being honest and explaining myself would have gotten me a little leniency for a first offense but I was wrong"

I can't agree with that because lying is never a good thing! You have to look at it like the other post stated and remember that the DNR Officer probably has heard everything in the book and something you did or said that you didn't have to say in the first place made him make the decision he did. Then again, maybe he's just a jerk and doesn't care to listen and have to make any judgements, so he just goes by the lettter of the law. He really didn't didn't do anything wrong. I really think you have to look at it from that perspective and just know it was you that screwed up and don't do it again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.