Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
East Central Illinois deer herd decimated by EHD. >

East Central Illinois deer herd decimated by EHD.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

East Central Illinois deer herd decimated by EHD.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MUZZY 100
I have noticed lower deer numbers at my farm in schuyler county,but still shot some nice bucks in the area.
I'm sure there are some shooters left(not saying this disease targeted 150+" bucks), just not in the numbers we're accustomed to seeing. I saw 1 shooter in approximately 160 hrs. on stand (which is terrible). What worries me is how few does I've seen. I was used to seeing 10-15+ does a day while on stand, now I'm lucky to see 1.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:34 PM
Spike

I keep hearing how devastating EHD has been in Illinois. However, opening day of first shotgun season, I heard 137 shots before 9 AM. There are still lots of deer running around my area, and i hope to put one down Saturday with my bow. Plus, i saw harvest numbers for first shotgun season, statewide,, are up 6,000 deer over last year. If this disease was so devastating, why would there be so many more taken this year? Second gun season report isn't out yet, that will be interesting. No doubt some areas were affected more than others, but i just think folks are blowing it way out of proportion.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The State of Illinois gave fair warning

Illinois DNR
News

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
September 6, 2012

IDNR Reports Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease Outbreak in at Least 51 Illinois Counties

SPRINGFIELD, IL – An ongoing outbreak of Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD) in white-tailed deer in Illinois has resulted in reports from concerned citizens of more than 700 deer mortalities in 51 counties through August, according to data compiled by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR).

Any out of state hunter would have had sufficient warning. It's good to start checking the internet for possible problems starting months ahead of time. Saves on time, money and travel.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Jimbo45
I keep hearing how devastating EHD has been in Illinois. However, opening day of first shotgun season, I heard 137 shots before 9 AM. There are still lots of deer running around my area, and i hope to put one down Saturday with my bow. Plus, i saw harvest numbers for first shotgun season, statewide,, are up 6,000 deer over last year. If this disease was so devastating, why would there be so many more taken this year? Second gun season report isn't out yet, that will be interesting. No doubt some areas were affected more than others, but i just think folks are blowing it way out of proportion.
It all depends in where you hunt in Illinois, not all of Illinois has been affected and some counties are much worse than others.

My whole point in posting this, was to find out what areas were hit and which were not. I certainly do not think that people are blowing this out of proportion...

Which county is it that you hunt?

As for the state claiming that numbers were up from last year... I think that may be a talltale... This state is all about revenue generated by permits and licensing, even if numbers were down drastically they would not post -numbers. This state is all about money and how they can spend it in other ways then in conservation. Illinois is a pretty expensive state in which to hunt whitetails, did the thought ever cross your mind as to where the money goes? I can tell you one thing for certain, not into conservation, they even outsourced permit Issuing for the 2013 Turkey Season to a company in California... thats, a great way to put money back into the state..eh?
Old 12-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

While I think some counties were hit pretty hard, a think a majority weren't hit too bad. Again, I think it all depends on what county you were in and how bad the midges were.

I think the state is correct with the higher deer count this year. If you remember last years first gun season the weather was brutal. It was windy and nasty across the state. Everyone I knew who hunts at all ends of the state had a bad year in 2011. This year the weather was almost perfect. Just a touch of wind and blue skies. Better weather to hunt and better weather for hunters to stay out longer.

I do feel bad for everyone who was hit hard by EHD this year. I think it was just bad luck if you got hit harder than others. Lets hope that everyone who did get hit hard has a quick recovery in the deer herd.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

Here's a great article in Heartland Outdoors about EHD for everyone to read. It even discusses how the IDNR tends to down play diseases. A must read.

http://www.heartlandoutdoors.com/tim...tting_started/
Old 12-06-2012, 04:12 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by whitetailcrazy
It all depends in where you hunt in Illinois, not all of Illinois has been affected and some counties are much worse than others.

My whole point in posting this, was to find out what areas were hit and which were not. I certainly do not think that people are blowing this out of proportion...

Which county is it that you hunt?

As for the state claiming that numbers were up from last year... I think that may be a talltale... This state is all about revenue generated by permits and licensing, even if numbers were down drastically they would not post -numbers. This state is all about money and how they can spendable it in other ways then in conservation. Illinois is a pretty expensive state in which to hunt whitetails, did the thought ever cross your mind as to where the money goes? I can tell you one thing for certain, not into conservation, they even outsourced permit Issuing for the 2013 Turkey Season to a company in California... thats, a great way to put money back into the state..eh?
While I whole heartedly agree with you that IL is a sneaky, crooked state when it comes to politics and revenue. But, I just can't believe that they would alter harvest numbers. I just don't see the benefit worth the trouble and risk. I don't recall the source I viewed, but it wasn't the IL DNR that put out the report (even though they would have supplied the count).

In the three counties I have hunted and/or have spoken with many hunters in this year, Bond, Edgar, and Coles, EHD just hasn't been much of a factor. I'm not trying to downplay your particular area, and understand some specific, small range areas were significantly hit by EHD. I'm just trying to reassure those folks that feel like the whole state's deer herd is decimated, and that it will take a decade or more to recover. I just don't believe that.

At any rate, we are all on the same team, and I sincerely hope your area has a good hard freeze this winter, to help kill off the midge's and disease. I hope you see a quick and full recovery of your herd. I know how passionate I have become about this hobby/sport, and wish everyone else that is in it for the right reasons, the best of good fortune.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I saw that as well. I think they had the same crew counting the deer that counted the electoral votes this year!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-07-2012, 02:08 AM
Fork Horn

While I whole heartedly agree with you that IL is a sneaky, crooked state when it comes to politics and revenue. But, I just can't believe that they would alter harvest numbers. I just don't see the benefit worth the trouble and risk. I don't recall the source I viewed, but it wasn't the IL DNR that put out the report (even though they would have supplied the count).

In the three counties I have hunted and/or have spoken with many hunters in this year, Bond, Edgar, and Coles, EHD just hasn't been much of a factor. I'm not trying to downplay your particular area, and understand some specific, small range areas were significantly hit by EHD. I'm just trying to reassure those folks that feel like the whole state's deer herd is decimated, and that it will take a decade or more to recover. I just don't believe that.

At any rate, we are all on the same team, and I sincerely hope your area has a good hard freeze this winter, to help kill off the midge's and disease. I hope you see a quick and full recovery of your herd. I know how passionate I have become about this hobby/sport, and wish everyone else that is in it for the right reasons, the best of good fortune.
Jimbo I realize that I come off as bitter to the state of Illinois (which I am, due to its politics) but read the article I posted 2 threads earlier.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:24 PM
Fork Horn

Check this out... SOUTH DAKOTA actually buys deer tags back due to EHD outbreak.. You'll never see this in ILLINOIS... Wow, says a lot about South Dakota and its DNR..
http://www.heartlandoutdoors.com/sca...ack_deer_tags/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.