Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

blood trail problems. .270

Old 12-01-2012, 05:02 PM
Spike

Default blood trail problems. .270

ive shot 2 deer with my rifle so far. it is a mossberg 100atr .270 cal. i shot a 6 point last year. perfect double lung but no exit. but we followed a river of blood all the way him. now this year i shot a doe with it. enter right behind the shoulder an exited opposite shoulder. she ran no more than 30 yds. but yet it took forever to find her(ended up goin back to camp to get my bloodhound which trailed her right up) because she did not bleed a drop. even after being dead layin for bout am hour there was still no blood. i would write this off but i took another little boy huntin with me the day b4 an he shot a doe in the same food plot that went about 50 yards. normally i would not have went back to the same spot but his doe DID NOT BLEED A DROP!!!! he used the same gun as me but he hit his in the chest ( she was heavily quartering) an exited bout 5 inches behind shoulder. he was shooting 150 gr. remington coe lokts while i was shootin 150 gr. federal fusions. am i doing something wrong?? is it the bullets or the gun or the caliber??? im just lucky to have inherited an excellent bloodhound!!
Old 12-01-2012, 05:06 PM
Spike

forgot to add these r close range shots. mine was bout 30 yds. an his was bout 60 yds.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

time for 130gr Barnes TSX? if you want a pass through...

imagine shooting a 5gallon bucket high.... 2 holes... the bucket has to fill up quite a bit before it would spill out vs shooting low, ie 1 gallon vs. 4+ gallons, that could explain it somewhat, but doesn't mean I would start aiming super low...

personally blood is just 1 tool in finding a dead deer IMO.

if you see the deer run off, mark that last seen spot, if you hear a crash past that, mark that spot, I'd immediately go to those 2 spots, or where I shot, if I see blood great, if not, find those 2 spots and hopefully you have a dead deer laying there, game over.

if not then you may need to get very serious and find drops of blood or simply cover some serious ground back n forth.

lack of blood isn't something I even bother myself worrying about. do what you can.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Spike

his was bout midway through chest cavity. an im in southwest mississippi. biggest doe ive seen where we hunt is bout 130lbs. an biggest buck is right bout 200 lbs. an mine the shot was actually kinda low. i forgot to compensate for my scope. its sighted at 70 yds. an the doe was 30 yds. it just did clip the bottom of her heart. an i did mark where she stood wen i shot an also where went into the woods. i literally crawled around on hands an knees for bout 10 minutes lookin for blood after i made a few circles through the woods where she went. it aggravated me though cuz i knew she was hit good right behind the shoulder. she kicked her back legs straight in the air an her other legs was literally draggin from where the bullet exited the shoulder an broke the bone
Old 12-01-2012, 05:55 PM
Spike

with that being said could it have maybe just been shot placement. cause the 6 i shot bled like somebody had a water hose with blood an just made a big line with it. an it never exited. it was a pretty high double lung. almost hit the spinal cord
Old 12-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default Round

Not very familiar with the .270 as a round but here's my $.02...

Try a lighter skinned round such as a fail safe or maybe a frangible.

Try a lighter round (weight). Small caliber + heavier round means smaller wound channel but deeper penetration. You need to create a larger wound channel.

Lighter skinned + .270 caliber should be enough power for proper penetration yet provide a wider WC to allow blood to exit. Maybe double penetration (entry & exit channel) + smaller caliber is insufficient to allow blood to exit to make trailing easier.

Or just keep your tracking dog healthy!

Your mileage may vary.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:54 AM
Fork Horn

I had the same problem with Rem Core Lokt, shooting at close range. They need time to start expanding. Try changing to a poly tipped round which has much faster expansion. Since I changed to Hornady Superformance SST rounds, I have gotten large exit holes. Always have blood, no more having the holes close and short distance tracking.

Lost 7 deer using Rem Core Lokt. Lost zero with slugs or Hornady SST rifle rounds.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:53 AM
Typical Buck

I had that problem with my 30-06 and 150 grain Winchester Silver Tips. The just blew up in the deer and didn't always exit. I switched to 165 grain Nosler Partitions and get pass throughs every time now.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:29 AM
Fork Horn

NOSLER Partition, available in Federal and Nosler ammunition, was invented by John Nosler, to expand AND punch right through.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:00 PM
Typical Buck

http://www.biggameinfo.com/index.asp...2fbalcalc.ascx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.