Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Ever hate yourself after killing a deer? >

Ever hate yourself after killing a deer?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ever hate yourself after killing a deer?

Old 12-01-2012, 07:21 PM
Fork Horn

Wink Your sitch...

I understand that you're disappointed in yourself. That means there's a lesson to be learned.

Learn the value of your lesson. Only you can determine that.

Been in that sitch once before. Didn't appreciate the value of it until later in life. The lesson wasn't lost.

Sounds like you have a handle on it. Bet the same thing won't happen again though.

So fix your ATV, renew your goals and get ready to fill a few doe tags.

You should have posted a pic of yur ATV, would have been good for posterity's sake.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Fork Horn

you put your dads tag on your deer? they call that ILLEGAL around here, and lock you up.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
This for sure.
8 in a row?
More practice (not on live targets) or better shot selection.
I had the same problem last year. I actually missed 10 in a row with the rifle I was using. Found it the forestock had cracked so badly the barrel was pretty much just rolling around in there not attached to anything. So I missed everything. But as soon as I picked up another gun I could put 3 shots inside a quarter at 100 yards.

Also missing doesnt mean a person is a bad shot. I have pelted the center of a target at 100 yards all day long after a miss before and then the next day or even later that afternoon missed again. But I also suffer from extreme anxiety disorder and unless I was doped up on Xanex when Im in the stand, which I hated doing cause then I dont feel safe, I just start shaking and my heart goes crazy when I see a big deer in my sights. Its basically buck fever on steroids. I almost feel like Im having a heart attack even though I have had every cardiac test performed on me and they all come back normal. I literally cant control myself sometimes. So a lot of my shots missed. Luckily I found a new doctor who has me on a medication that doesnt make me feel doped up like Xanex and now I only miss if its a really long shot.

Also bad scopes can be a killer. I had one that fogged up all the time. Sent it back and they mailed me a new one that fogged up the first morning I hunted. I just threw the damn thing in the trash. Also Im about piss poor at judging distance. I actually have pink marking tape all over my farm for ranging deer. Every stand I have tape tied around something every 10 yards out starting at 50 and going to 250.

So just because someone misses a lot doesnt mean they need more practice. Hell if anything practicing on a live deer is the best thing. Anyone can shoot at a paper target. Hell when I was at summer camp I could shoot the center out of targets all day long with a .22 at 75 yards and I was only 10. But what happens when that 12 point is 150 yards out and its almost dark and you have been in the stand for 4 hours and your back and neck are stiff. Being able to hit a target in broad daylight with no pressure doesnt mean **** then.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:23 PM
Fork Horn

Also what do people mean by tags? Since I also live in SC as does the person who started this thread we dont need tags for bucks. We only have to tag does. And even then I use my dad's. No one cares. Hell I havent even had a hunting license for the last 12 years.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by thomasmgp
Also what do people mean by tags? Since I also live in SC as does the person who started this thread we dont need tags for bucks. We only have to tag does. And even then I use my dad's. No one cares. Hell I havent even had a hunting license for the last 12 years.
we get 1 buck tag, and doe tags are extra $$ if they are even available. And the DEC enforces it.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Been there and done that. The first time I went to Ohio hunting a large deer pop out on the other side of the hill just before dark. I scoped the head and didnt see horns. Placed the crosshairs behind the shoulder and fired. The deer ran about 20 yards and crashed. When I got to it, it had already gotten dark. When my flashlight shined acrossed its neck I could see it wasnt a does neck. Raised its head up and there was a little 3pt rack. I was disgusted with myself for shooting a small buck and had to use the only buck tag that you get in Ohio. The rack was so short the ears covered it up. Sometimes it happens, not fun when it does though.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:53 AM
Fork Horn

I just can't believe that he missed 8-deer in a row. I think he means that 8-deer came within sight but didn't have the opportunity for a decent shot on 8-deer in a row. If I miss at one deer, I don't want to tell anyone about it.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nope, he MISSED 8 deer in a row and now the guy on Meds in SC says he missed 10 because he can't control himself when he has a gun in his hands. I hope they both stay the hell where they are and don't do any outstate hunts where there might be a chance of running into either one of them, LOL! Wouldn't you think that after missing a few deer that you would check your equipment out thoroughly, rather than wait until the count got to ten for God's sake!!! These kind of people are what gives hunters and hunting a bad name.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-02-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:51 AM
Fork Horn

IF you had tags for either sex, then brown and down and all legal fair and square. IF you shot a buck without a buck tag and used your father's tag, then let's not make a habit out of that.

Invest in some GOOD binoculars or a spotting scope (no spotting with mounted riflescopes) and no what your shooting.

If all you did was violate your own made up 'standard' of what is a shooter or not, well you did not shoot a small buck, you shot a doe, or so you thought. As long as no regs were violated, chalk it up to experience and a reason to go buy some more optics.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Nope, he MISSED 8 deer in a row and now the guy on Meds in SC says he missed 10 because he can't control himself when he has a gun in his hands. I hope they both stay the hell where they are and don't do any outstate hunts where there might be a chance of running into either one of them, LOL! Wouldn't you think that after missing a few deer that you would check your equipment out thoroughly, rather than wait until the count got to ten for God's sake!!! These kind of people are what gives hunters and hunting a bad name.
so because I have a medical condition that requires me to take medication I shouldnt hunt? What kind of ****ing ******* are you. You are the type of person that gives hunters a bad name. ****ing dick go fall out of your tree stand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.