Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Ever hate yourself after killing a deer? >

Ever hate yourself after killing a deer?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ever hate yourself after killing a deer?

Old 12-01-2012, 03:40 PM
Spike

Default Ever hate yourself after killing a deer?

So I have been in a massive slump. Missed 8 deer in a row and havent had a kill in two months. Well I had been seeing some nice does lately around one stand that I havent hunted in a while. So I decided to hunt it tonight. I hunted this same stand around 10 days ago and I had 4 nice does come running in from a nearby field and thought they were going to come into the field where my stand was so I would get a shot on one but they came around the corner and went into the woods. Also my camera had been seeing a group of 4-5 nice does feeding in the area so I figured Id just fill a doe tag to get out of my slump if I got the chance.

Well I had been in the stand an hour and hadnt seen anything. Watched some rediculously large turkeys feeding next to me but no deer. Then I looked to my right at an unplanted field and saw two fawns playing around. I watched them for a while and it started getting late so faced forward to turn off my thermocel and saw two does coming out of the woods. I brought up my rifle and they were nice sized. Also saw there was already a 3rd deer in the field with its back to me that must have come out while I was being entertained by the little ones to my right. The two that came out went right to the other one and I figured it had to be that group of does that I had seen before that hung out together. It was starting to get dark and I still have 3 doe tags to fill so I figured "What the hell even if its just a doe I need to end this slump" I ranged them at 147 yards and then put the crosshairs on the largest one and squeezed off a round.

Got really pumped when I saw belly white laying on the ground. Got on the 4-wheeler and went over to claim my prize. Well my joy ended in a hurry when I saw she was actually a he. It was a 3 pointer. I just never saw his rack cause most of the time he was facing away from me and it was pretty small so with the other two so close to him I might not have seen it anyways. Was so mad at myself for killing what might have been a great buck in a few years I kicked the front of my 4-wheeler crushing one of the headlights.

Took it over to the processing plant and said my dad shot it cause I wasnt about to claim him. He weighed in at 109 so at least I should get some good meat from him. But I let an 8 point walk a month ago just to have the next buck I shot be a little 3 pointer? That just pisses me off and probably will for the rest of the season. I broke my own rule of dont shoot anything 6 points and under. Oh well I guess we all make mistakes. Just wondering if anyone else has shot a "doe" with horns by mistake and felt bad about it.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd feel a lot worse telling everyone on the internet that I had missed 8 deer in a row like you just did, LOL!
Old 12-01-2012, 03:47 PM
Spike

Is it legal to have someone else tag a deer in for you in your state? Plus you missed 8 deer? Im thinking this has to be some kind of a joke to get a rise out of people.

If not, I would focus on practicing for a while and only take shots you are comfortable with.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

nothing worth kicking a hard/valuable possession over.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:07 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by westcyderydin
nothing worth kicking a hard/valuable possession over.
That can be repaired. The deer cant.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

Calm down its not about the size of the deer and horns. It's about being in gods country it sounds to me like you have a few anger problems you need to deal with I know it is very nice to kill a big deer but you can't let it get to you like that when you don't. It's not about killing and slaughtering the animals it's about being in gods country and enjoying yourself while there and don't lie defenately not cool sir...
Old 12-01-2012, 04:40 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

From the title my first thought was no....but that isn't true. I took a shot at a buck a few years ago on opening day of bow season. It was late in the day and getting darker by the minute. There were several doe and a couple fawn wandering thru about the same time. The buck ducked the string and I nailed a spotted fawn standing a couple feet behind it. I kicked myself for that. I tagged it as well because I killed it.
I rushed a shot on a doe last year because I had made a noise getting my rifle up and could tell the deer was on alert. trailed it for 4 hours in the swam till it got too dark and I was getting too tired to continue. Didn't hate myself but certainly regretted my lack of discipline in making that decision to fire.
You have a rule about shooting anything below a certain size. You made an error. Target identification, shooting conditions, perhaps other factors only you are aware of may have influenced this.
You also set out to harvest a deer and made a good ethical shot on deer and killed it humanely. I would forgive myself the error. You didn't shoot into brush because a deer had just run in there. You identified your target as a deer. You didn't place a human life in jeopardy. Learn whatever you can from it. I probably wouldn't break my equipment over it but I might spend a little time examining my rules for hunting and assessing the motivations behind them. I'm not trying to be a dbag but you are obviously bothered by what transpired and from your story, as an outsider, what stands out to me is destroying your equipment in a moment of anger. Being ashamed of what you did (and I don't think you should be because you simply made an error on what kind of deer it was) and telling a lie about something you consider embarrassing or shameful , assigning blame for that act on your father.
By the way, I commend you for having the courage to relate this story. There are many hunters who will never admit doing anything wrong.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:58 PM
Typical Buck

I did last Year, but not until a couple days later when I had to pass up a monster buck. I shot a nice little 7 pointer on Saturday and was happy with it. but my county says you have to shoot a doe before shooting a second buck. On Monday evening a wall hanger came within 20 yards of my blind and I had to pass. I was sick. It was the largest deer I have ever seen while hunting, as large as most any i have seen posted here. After 20 years I still don't have a wall hanger and normally don't think much about it, but having to pass one up is a sick feeling.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
I'd feel a lot worse telling everyone on the internet that I had missed 8 deer in a row like you just did, LOL!

This for sure.
8 in a row?
More practice (not on live targets) or better shot selection.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:59 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

At the yardage you are shooting, killing a spike is always a possibility. I have done so with a bow at 20 yds, meaning to fill an antlerless tag. The spikes can easily hide behind the ears. But frankly, I did not feel too bad about it. What would be bad is if you did not have a tag for it and had to leave it rot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.